Author Topic: Greyhound door and boot hinges  (Read 3537 times)

tdperth

• View Profile
Greyhound door and boot hinges
« on: January 12, 2016, 00:43:26 »
Hi to all...
   Does anyone know where I can get boot and door hinges for my AC Greyhound?
   Kind Regards
   Trevor

B.P.Bird

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2016, 12:26:27 »
Trevor, I remember replacing mine many years ago and went to a hinge manufacturer where it turned out they were a standard size brass hinge available off the shelf. However, with the benefit of hindsight, why replace them ? Any competent machinist could line bore the brass and make up a stainless oversize pin to suit. Incorporate an oiler in the pin and they will last for a very long time.

Robin A Woolmer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2016, 18:16:30 »
Door Hinges  were Collins Medium Suit Brass Type 1656 dimensions 3" by 1/2" thick by 1& 3/4" closed so effectively 3" square!
   Bonnet hinges were fabricated from tube steel so I would imagine you should be able to repair them!

Robin

tdperth

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2016, 01:40:17 »
Thanks guys.

My Door ones have worn too thin to machine and the boot has one that has cracked and consequently worn excessively. I have to replace.

Have had no luck searching the internet for this size.

Trevor

Robin A Woolmer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2016, 10:13:24 »
Trevor
   I believe I have found a supplier in UK that can supply/make them for you, the style of hinge goes back to the early 1900's Is the boot hinge the same as the door hinges ?
   In regard to the bonnet I am sure you can have some fabricated in Australia to your sample so that should not be a problem.
   If you send me an Email I can possibly send better details of the supplier etc.

Robin

Robin A Woolmer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2016, 11:54:17 »
Trevor
   I have a quote for the nearest standard hinge for both types, they are looking into making the exact hinge to AC drawing & will come back to me! Please send Email

Robin

Robin A Woolmer

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2016, 16:25:34 »
Trevor
   Hinges can be made to drawing so please Email me so I can send the information you can then deal direct.

Robin