Author Topic: History of COB6030  (Read 3518 times)

• View Profile
History of COB6030
« on: November 17, 2015, 11:40:34 »
I am trying to trace the racing history of COB6030. It was raced by Chris Shipton in the 1971 STP Mod-sports Championship. He gained a 2nd in class at Silverstone that year, he also raced at Llandow. I have tried Autosport/Motorsport/BDRC etc. but no luck. Perhaps someone in the Club wouls know something even after all these years? Anything would be appreciated.

Bill

TLegate

• View Profile
History of COB6030
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2015, 12:30:18 »
quote:
Originally posted by 1590

I am trying to trace the racing history of COB6030. It was raced by Chris Shipton in the 1971 STP Mod-sports Championship. He gained a 2nd in class at Silverstone that year, he also raced at Llandow. I have tried Autosport/Motorsport/BDRC etc. but no luck. Perhaps someone in the Club wouls know something even after all these years? Anything would be appreciated.

Bill

Hi Bill

As someone who has tried to research the Cobra for many years (I began writing my first book on the cars in 1979) I know how hard it can be to unearth photos. Sadly I was never able to travel to Silverstone to photograph the Cobras racing in that period and almost all my photos were shot at Brands and other events south of the Thames.
   The best source of old photos is usually Ted Walker of Ferret Fotos who attends a lot of the larger events such as the classic car shows at the NEC and the Goodwood Revival. He buys old negatives and prints them as 10x8s and sells them at the events. You could try getting in touch but he would need to know races and dates before searching. I tend to buy prints of Cobras I've not seen before and I can confirm that I've never seen a photo of 6030, sadly. There a re few other dealers in old motoring photos but for them to unearth anything, they need the right sort of information.
   As you have discovered, magazines and larger museums etc are of little or no use any more.
   If I can think of any likely source I will get back to you. How is 6030 these days..?

best regards
   Trevor Legate

SunDude

• View Profile
History of COB6030
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2015, 17:30:39 »
Have you tried searching through the Revs Digital Library at Stanford University in Palo Alto CA: https://revslib.stanford.edu/

Brian

• View Profile
History of COB6030
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2015, 15:32:43 »
Hi Trevor

Thank you for your reply. 6030 is very well and much enjoyed. I've owned her now for 41 years. I did buy the car restored, minus a few missing parts but generally the car has held up well still the same paint/interior/chrome/engine still good etc. Have all your books on AC's in fact I have all the books relating to Cobra's!

Kind regards

Bill