Author Topic: CS2030  (Read 28100 times)

minimans

• View Profile
CS2030
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2015, 18:15:32 »
Preserving history is important and an antidote to the ever prevalent Modsports cars

But what history are you preserving? The history of the car is that from creation to present surly? to take it back to a point in its history is to destroy the very history of the car? It's a very personal thing I know but as a professional car restorer it becomes a dilemma when advising customers of a course of action......Paul

rstainer

• View Profile
CS2030
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2015, 11:48:19 »
Paul,

It all depends on what you mean by preserving history.

‘Preserving history’ can be read in a variety of ways:
  • Not do anything to the car
  • Turn it into a runner
  • Make good mechanical wear
  • Etc etc

•    The wording I prefer (five posts above) is ‘restore it to original condition’, meaning to restore it to its approximate 60s technical specification.

As registrar, all I do is record the facts; from a purely personal point of view, I wouldn’t advise preserving the history of bodge work but à chacun son goût.

RS

minimans

• View Profile
    CS2030
    « Reply #17 on: December 23, 2015, 01:02:26 »
    I guess that was my point ineffectively put by me! to preserve history is to basically leave it alone except to conserve it, to restore it is to put it back to a certain condition at a set point in its "history"

nikbj68

• View Profile
    CS2030
    « Reply #18 on: December 23, 2015, 08:09:06 »
    I have to say that I`m glad 39PH was never returned to 'Le Mans' Spec, as although finishing 7th in the 1963 event was a taste of things to come, in Willment trim, and in the hands of Jack Sears is where it`s greatest glories came!
       On the other hand, Pete Brock would rather see the Daytona 2287 restored to 'Shelby' spec, as the car`s patina post-dates the best times of it`s life...Horses for courses.

swiftruss

• View Profile
    CS2030
    « Reply #19 on: January 28, 2016, 18:36:13 »
    I would like to say an enormous thank you to everyone in the club who has given me expert guidance and invaluable information and support  before and since the purchase of CS2030.

I will be returning the car to as original specification as possible. I have been amazed by the number of pictures received from club members of the car while in the possession of AC Cars. They will be a massive help during the course of the restoration.

I look forward to doing justice to this very special car and meeting the people who have helped me so much and haven't already met in the near future.

nikbj68

• View Profile
    CS2030
    « Reply #20 on: January 28, 2016, 19:23:02 »
    Welcome to the forum, and adding to the family`s Ace ownership!

Congratulations on your new project, and it`s heartwarming to see your plans for 2030...and I assume all 4 wheels will stay on the ground most of the time?!
       Cheers, Nik.

*(Photos from THE MINI FORUM, please view the other great photos there!)

nikbj68

• View Profile
    CS2030
    « Reply #21 on: January 30, 2016, 13:28:21 »
    I`ve had a few photos through from Russ, starting with this one from Rinsey Mills` book "Essential AC Cobra":

This Factory shot shows how the Cockpit should look, and hopefully will do again soon:

And these publicity shots showing the early overriders dominating the rear view!:

What is the knob just behind the gearlever? Is that a "Select-a-ride" suspension control? Nice option!

More to follow...watch this space!

nikbj68

• View Profile
    CS2030
    « Reply #22 on: January 30, 2016, 15:31:45 »
    Emailed conversation courtesy of Russ & Barrie...can anyone else help with required items?

Dear Barrie,
       I have recently purchased CS2030 which needs some loving care, it was involved in an accident and fire in the 60’s and poorly repaired, I hope to rectify this.
        Among other things, I need most of the parts for the interior including all the gauges, switches, seats, door catches, etc.
       I look forward to hearing from you.
        Best regards,
        Russ.
       ------------------------
       Russ,
       How nice to hear from you - I have been toying with the idea of making contact,  as I thought '33 might be a help with '30 and you have such an important and historic Cobra there.
       I think you will find the parts you list:
       Gauges - Smiths gauges still built by Speedograph/Caerbont with correct open chaplet faces.
       The ammeter should be the Lucas 30 amp job which does not match the other dials, easy to find as they were fitted to everything.
       The Smiths clock is an older pattern than the one Caerbont are doing.
       Switches - Lucas tumbler switches etc. Holden Vintage and Classic or Autosparks.
       Did '30 have the Volkswagen trafficator switch as was used on the production rack and pinion cars? Likewise was it the first use of the later dished alloy steering wheel?
       Silent Travel Wilmot Breeden locks - best source for correct replicas Paul Beck Vintage Supplies.
       David Sanderson has more detailed knowledge of the Ace and Cobra than anyone else and huge experience in building parts and rebuilding cars.
       Please keep in touch and feel free to ask about the inevitable restoration headaches.
       Barrie
       ----------------------------

Dear Barrie,
        Thank you for your reply and thank you for your advice, it is very much appreciated.

I have a good picture of my cars original dashboard, [see above post, Nik] The dials currently available are close but are all slightly different i.e. Made in UK as opposed to made in England and different increments on the Oil temp and water temp gauges. I would like to get them as close as possible, I believe you can have custom faces produced. I may enquire about this if I can’t find originals.
       ‘30’ did have the VW traficator and dished steering wheel (as can be seen on the picture) it also has a Rover 2000 type dipswitch which I am keen to source, there seem to be a few variations of this. I think the correct one for my car is just a light and dipswitch, some appear to include a horn. Do you have a good picture of the correct one for my car or better still a part number

David Sanderson spent an afternoon looking at the car.

I am happy to run the car as it is, but don’t want it off the road for more than a winter for restoration, I want the satisfaction of doing as much myself as possible.

I would like to source a 260 motor and a Frogeye dynamo.
       Other parts I am on the look-out for are:-, header tank, radiator grill, hood frame, hood, side screens, dashboard, grab handle, glovebox lock, bonnet locks, and boot stay. I would imagine I can source reproductions of these or have them made but would like to use original parts where possible. If you have any of these or know the whereabouts of any I would like to hear from you.
       I am trying to source the title of a book my car appears in, do you recognise it? [Above post, Identified by me as Rinsey Mills` "Essential AC Cobra". Nik]
       Doctored pictures of my car were used for the 289 sales brochure (see above), do you know anyone who may have a spare I can purchase, there is one currently on EBay for £83 but looking back at completed listings others have sold in the past for half that price.

Best regards,
        Russ.

nikbj68

• View Profile
    CS2030
    « Reply #23 on: January 30, 2016, 17:09:36 »
    A few more period photos, and a couple from Russ of how the Cobra looks today:

nikbj68

• View Profile
    CS2030
    « Reply #24 on: January 30, 2016, 19:30:37 »
    Russ also pointed me to mention of his Cobra back in 2012:

quote:
    Originally posted by B.P.Bird, in the MKI COX AND COB Thread.

...It has always intrigued me exactly how CS2030 fitted in to this [Bishop Cam to Rack & Pinion] sequence. The time scale fits with the need for a test vehicle for the second Cobra chassis configuration. It would be unheard of for Thames Ditton to put such a radical alteration in to production with no testing and such testing would take a little while would it not? Once completed and accepted then the new chassis could be productionised - new jigs produced, pattern work completed and foundry work set in hand. In those days A.C. could work at amazing speed, free from the parasitic drag of modern institutions like our beloved HSE or VOSA, but not so fast that this kind of change to an existing production line could happen without a development period.
       I remember being told by Jock Wright and Fred Larimore, in period, that 2030 was a development car. I suppose that Thames Ditton would hardly be able to justify a 'demonstrator' to Shelby or Ford given that no early Cobras were sold in the home market. So if either of them picked up the bill for 2030 maybe this was the real reason? I have never looked 2030 over and so my post might well be be misleading, but I wonder if in fact 2030 was the 'mule' for the second Cobra chassis design ?

quote:
    Originally posted by rstainer

Barrie makes some very interesting points and the central proposition, a design in two halves, is correct in both senses: two halves (back, then front), and a proper design, test, production set-up etc for each half. Rinsey Mills’ ‘AC Cobra’ gives a useful account of the front-end changes on pages 40 & 41.

The 2030 suggestion is very interesting, but only inspection would answer it definitively; unfortunately the car was last heard of in a dismantled state thirty years ago and I suspect it may have been destroyed. However the historical facts and timing tie in with Barrie’s suggestion:

• The AC Factory Ledger is noted ‘Instructions issued 12 Sept 62’, the car was finished towards the end of October and registered in Nov 62. I wonder what the instructions were?

•    
  • The Shelby American ledger lists it as ‘AC Test Car’

•    
  • Per my records the car was paid for by Shelby but remained in AC’s hands for a year until sold to a Mr Dent on 18 Nov 63.

•    
       As Barrie writes, although listed in the Factory Ledger as a ‘Demonstration Car’, AC had no reason to demonstrate anything. Finally, worm and peg it is: Register Introduction amended.

nikbj68

• View Profile
    CS2030
    « Reply #25 on: January 31, 2016, 13:56:26 »
    2 more photos from Russ showing the Dash of 2030 used in the Cobra handbook:

How cool!

...And the current footwell:

nikbj68

• View Profile
    CS2030
    « Reply #26 on: February 26, 2016, 20:44:50 »
    Russ managed to find this fantastic shot of 2030, bearing the current registration too!

Taken from this publication:

And this amusingly doctored promotional photo, with the addition of sidevents...

which were definitely not there on this original of the same shot!!

nikbj68

• View Profile
    CS2030
    « Reply #27 on: February 28, 2016, 09:42:23 »
    Not content with painting in sidevents, for the UK AC Cobra Brochure, Keith Judd was given a set of sunglasses too!!!

Russ would very much like to acquire an original of this photograph, if anyone can help please?

shep

• View Profile
    CS2030
    « Reply #28 on: March 04, 2016, 13:04:15 »
    Love it!

swiftruss

• View Profile
    CS2030
    « Reply #29 on: March 04, 2016, 16:12:52 »
    With the massive amount of help I have received so far from club members I have been able to establish details of many suppliers of reproduction parts but I am keen to source as many original items as possible. I am aware of the fact that they are in short supply but If any one has any that they would be happy to part with for a genuine car, I would appreciate the opportunity to purchase them. Likewise if anyone can give me any leads to any parts I would be most grateful

Most of the running gear is serviceable but I am keen to source an early 260 motor. I require almost everything for the interior. A picture of my dashboard when new is shown earlier in this thread.

Thanks again for all the help I have received so far.
       Russ