Author Topic: 15 in. wheels  (Read 15975 times)

B.P.Bird

• View Profile
15 in. wheels
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2015, 11:31:27 »
Constant is this any heip ?

Covering Letter

Specs.

Detail Specs.

MkIV Lux

• View Profile
15 in. wheels
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2015, 13:12:35 »
hi Barrie,
   this is definitely of help. Many thanks
   Cheers
   Constant

westcott

• View Profile
15 in. wheels
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2015, 17:16:21 »
Hi Constant,

In addition, if you have the later owners handbook (the leather covered ring binder in landscape page setup) there is a first blue page called Cobra Forecourt Data Card.

Both wheel sizes the 15 and 16"  as well as the matching tire sizes are listet on that card.
    Its an official publication part from AC Cars/Autokraft Limited PartNo. MWO1 22.05.95
Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler!

MkIV Lux

• View Profile
15 in. wheels
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2015, 22:19:41 »
hi Uwe,
   Many thanks for the tip. I discover that I do indeed have that very owners handbook (sleeping in a cupboard) with the Data Card.
   Great! Many thanks
   cheers
   Constant

Hobo

• View Profile
15 in. wheels
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2015, 19:44:15 »
Dear all,

I took time to check further my wheels I’m running on my MkIV.
   These wheels I bought from a Cobra-Enthusiast some years ago. As mentioned they fit very well even the backspace of the rear wheel is 10 mm less than on my AutoKraft-wheels.

Not sure who the manufacturer is.....anyone out there knowing this oval sign with that kind of fork in the center? (Trigo??)

Please find attached the detailed photos.
   The front wheel is stamped as following:
   Outside:
   “7.500 x 15  /  COBRA II”
   Inside:
   As above “7.500 x 15 / COBRA II”,
   “WHEELLOAD 1600 LB MAX”
   “MADE IN U.S.A”
   “DOT-T (most likely or DOT-I)
   “707L922”
   A oval sign showing a kind of fork.

The rear wheel ist stamped:
   Outside:
   “9.500 x 15  /  COBRA 2  /  3008”
   “501A-1”

Inside:
   As above “9.500 x 15 / COBRA 2 / 3008 ”,
   “WHEELLOAD 1600 LB MAX”
   “MADE IN U.S.A”
   “DOT-T (most likely or DOT-I)
   “607L927”
   A oval sign showing a kind of fork.

Attention: Front wheel is stamped "COBRA II", rear wheel "COBRA 2"

SJ351

• View Profile
15 in. wheels
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2015, 19:52:11 »
They are Trigo wheels I believe.

Hobo

• View Profile
15 in. wheels
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2015, 21:03:20 »
Many thanks, I also strongly believe the wheels are trigo.

I did the measurement of the backspace - both the trigo and the AutoKraft wheels today.

Backspace by definition is this:

The results are the following:

Trigo
   Front: 69 mm
   Rear: 69 mm

AutoKraft:
   Front: 67,5 mm
   Rear: 80 mm

As I mentioned before the front wheels are practically the same the rear wheel differ in 11 mm.
   However both set of wheels fit to my MkIV in combination with the AVONs.

Flyinghorse

• View Profile
15 in. wheels
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2015, 19:40:32 »
This thread is getting very messy /confusing and is not a good legacy read for anyone wanting to fit 15" rims.

It seems that both Trigo and Hawk(Compomotive)  rims both fit various owners cars with limited problems most stated above ,and some suggest the Hawk ones are closer to or replicate the originals fitted by the factory.

Hobo--The EuroKraft rims are new on me? In the above thread we have Trigo/Hawk(compomotive)/Vintage wheels/Factory fitted(Autokraft?)  all mentioned --are the EuroKraft one of these?

Previous comments that remain un explained are by SJ351 on 7th Nov where its stated that Trigo/Vintage wheels  don't have the correct factory "dish" on the rear wheel--I am not sure what does this mean exactly? Any photos? Whats the actual practical  impact of this (Brake fouling)?

Hobo on the 8th Nov says the backspace on the  aftermarket wheels have 10mm more back space ,but its not clear whether he refers to Trigo or the Eurokraft as the above dimensions on the 24th Nov thread show the Trigos have the same backspace as the fronts (I guess the offset changes as the rears are 9.5" not 7.5" like fronts)? (the Eurocrafts are 12.5 difference between front/back).

There is also an inference in AC Ventura comments that the Hawk /Compomotive (though not specifically stated) rims have the correct cone angle (Which implies the others might not). My thoughts here are that there must be an engineering formula for the best cone angle that manufacturers use,and that a spinner must match the rim cone angle  or be bought as matching ones from the same manufactures to be certain of a compatible fit. Would be good to know if all the vendors use the same cone angle.

Not trying to stir trouble here but get things on a factual basis. I for one had not thought about the cone angle till it was mentioned. I had a Lotus Elan many years ago and lost the back wheel on a bend as the spinner nut came off at speed and had worn all the key pegs loose and I don't want a repeat of that.

Also the above seems to mainly discuss 427 wheels not 289/FIA.

FH

SJ351

• View Profile
15 in. wheels
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2015, 21:50:51 »
He means Autokraft - just look at the difference between the rear wheels on the red and green cars pictured The polished rim/dish is different. The Hawk wheels were made from tooling rescued from the AC Cars receiver. Compomotive made them for AC Cars too I believe. There are Trigo/vintage cheap copies but reasonable value or, the Hawk wheels to genuine Autokraft/AC Cars Mk1V specification.

The original '60's 15" Halibrand rims are different too I think.

Flyinghorse

• View Profile
15 in. wheels
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2015, 13:41:50 »
Stephen ,Thanks for clarifying the Rear wheel outboard dish shape.

I had it in my head it was an inboard issue  -my mistake, and now clear  on reading your reply and original point.
   FH

AC Ventura

• View Profile
15 in. wheels
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2015, 17:58:37 »
The cone angle of the Hawk wheels matched my spinners perfectly (I blued them in to make sure)and not surprising as the wheels were produced from the dies of the Autokraft Mk IV cars. I was saying that Trigo wheels are not promoted as such, so it would be wise to compare the cone angle accurately. If it's a few degrees out the spinner will seemingly go on nicely, but the wheel won't be secure.

ak1040

• View Profile
15 in. wheels
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2015, 17:48:58 »
Hi there is a set of 15 inch on eBay now ,for £1.000 they are MK IV . Neil

BBK

• View Profile
15 in. wheels
« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2015, 03:54:45 »
quote:
Originally posted by ak1040

Hi there is a set of 15 inch on eBay now ,for £1.000 they are MK IV . Neil

Can you post the link to the EBay ad?

Hobo

• View Profile
15 in. wheels
« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2015, 08:30:30 »
Sorry, I’m getting older too :-)
   “EuroKraft” was a company I worked for and seems to be this is still in my mind, of course I meant "AutoKraft" regarding the wheel-discussion.

AutoKraft wheels means indeed the original wheels mounted by factory and they are stamped „AutoKraft“ at the outside (center).

The measurement of the angle of the cone is a little bit difficult without special tools, both on the wheel side as well on the spinners or (the original) hexagonal (center) nuts.

The Trigos wheels I run with spinners on my green MkIV (see photo above) – I also “blued” them and the cone fit perfectly. The spinners I bought from “Acton”/USA some month ago.

Therefore, what I can state so far:
   The Trigo wheels and my spinners fit together perfectly and with the AVONs the wheels also fit to the car.
   I didn’t test so far the Trigo with the (original factory) hex. nut – but I will do soon.

My conclusion:
   If someone is interested in FIA-style 15”-wheels, I would consider Trigo or Vintage Wheels to be a good resources as they have 6-pin FIA-styled wheels with the right dimensions (7.5”, 9.5”) and if you order spinners from the same source there should be no problem with the cone angle.
   However Trigo does not mention any backspace adjustment, but it seems that Vintage Wheels is willing to do.

http://www.trigowheels.com/289_6_r_b.html

http://vintagewheelsus.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=15_29

eby.uk: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Set-of-4-refurbished-Ali-Halibrand-type-wheels-for-AC-Cobra-/351567716255?hash=item51db119f9f:m:m79Q6a20QDFNxiiVZkxsCpg

Other wheels I found on ebay are 16"
   http://www.ebay.com/itm/Set-of-4-AC-Cobra-Original-Wheels-Knock-Offs-Autokraft-MkIV-/151886760595?vxp=mtr
   Seller(USA) will not ship to ROW.

ak1040

• View Profile
15 in. wheels
« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2015, 08:33:21 »
Hi will try to post ,if not it is on eBay uk under. ac cobra.lf not email me thanks Neil