Author Topic: AC 428 Convertible For Sale  (Read 10942 times)

BBK

• View Profile
AC 428 Convertible For Sale
« on: November 01, 2015, 05:33:40 »
This AC 428 Convertible for sale in the U.S. In Oregon.   BRG over tan leather with 4 speed transmission. LHD car. Gorgeous. Any one familiar with this one?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/231733878467?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Now with correct link.

Photos appear to have been taken at Fantasy Junction in Emeryville, CA.  Not sure why they were taken there if the car has never been offered for sale before.

SunDude

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2015, 14:08:47 »
CFX37, according to the eBay listing.  A Pebble Beach Concours winner.

It looks like the car is being offered by:

Bobby's Classics (Robert Muis)
   166 South 2nd Street
   Independence, Oregon
   Phone (503) 999-0790

See: http://dmv.odot.state.or.us/cf/dlrsliclkup/search/index.cfm?fuseAction=getSingle&DealerNumber=DA4588&dealerStatus=current

BBK

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2015, 15:18:26 »
Thanks Brian. My friend Mike Gulett first noticed this EBay listing on his car blog yesterday.  Mike owns a super nice low mileage AC Mk. IV.  A comment on his blog (link below) indicates that this may possibly be a fraudulent listing.  Your information shows that the seller seems to be a legitimate dealer. Wonder what the story is?  Something a bit fishy as the back drop for the listing is definitely the outside brick wall at Fantasy Junction....very far away from Oregon where this car is shown to be located.

http://mycarquest.com/2015/10/car-of-the-day-ac-428-frua-convertible-for-sale.html

SunDude

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2015, 16:47:22 »
Well, I certainly cannot vouch for the seller as I don't know him and haven't seen this car personally.  I just used the magic of Google to find some extra info.

When I first saw the eBay photos, I also recognized the location as Fantasy Junction in Emeryville CA.  But, in looking through the FJ website, I couldn't find any info on CFX37.  I did, however, find an old SOLD listing for CFX54: http://www.fantasyjunction.com/cars/6-ac-428%20convertible-n/a

If you're really curious, it might be worth a phone call to Bobby's Classics to see what's up.

# # # # #

Meanwhile here are some pics of CFX37 from the eBay listing (with the telltale Fantasy Junction backdrop):

SunDude

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2015, 16:58:53 »
Here's an old listing from something called "BDM Classic Cars" (no stated location), showing CFX37 for sale: www.bdmclassiccars.com/AC428.html

BBK

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2015, 17:04:34 »
I may give them a call.  Seems it has been for sale before and previously sold at Fantasy Junction.   Beautiful car.  Interesting that it had wire wheels on it when it was for sale at FJ.  I like that look better.

jrlucke

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2015, 19:14:49 »
quote:
Originally posted by BBK

I may give them a call.  Seems it has been for sale before and previously sold at Fantasy Junction.   Beautiful car.  Interesting that it had wire wheels on it when it was for sale at FJ.  I like that look better.

Are you sure the car with wires you're referring to is CFX37? Fantasy Junction shows they previously sold a green convertible with wires and automatic which was CFX54 (which I believe is the subject of a thorough restoration under another topic on this site).

J Jones

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2015, 19:46:10 »
CFX 37 was formerly Bruce Milners car, a Pebble Beach winner when he owned it.
   Emmanuel and I saw the car at the subsequent owners facility. The car was gorgeous.
   He didn't want to sell at that time. Something must have changed his mind...

BBK

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2015, 23:03:04 »
John, you are right.  The car shown in the link to the Fantasy Junction web site is a different car.  Wire wheels and automatic transmission.  CFX 54 as you mention.   Seems that CFX 37 may have been at Fantasy Junction at some point as the photos of the car are FJ's typical range of shots when they list a car for sale.   Maybe they had it listed at some point but never sold it.

quote:
Originally posted by jrlucke

quote:
Originally posted by BBK

Are you sure the car with wires you're referring to is CFX37? Fantasy Junction shows they previously sold a green convertible with wires and automatic which was CFX54 (which I believe is the subject of a thorough restoration under another topic on this site).

BBK

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2015, 23:05:57 »
quote:
Originally posted by J Jones

CFX 37 was formerly Bruce Milners car, a Pebble Beach winner when he owned it.
   Emmanuel and I saw the car at the subsequent owners facility. The car was gorgeous.
   He didn't want to sell at that time. Something must have changed his mind...

Thanks for the information.   Must have been that much nicer in person.

J Jones

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2015, 06:03:57 »
To be a little more direct, I was told Fantasy Junction took the car to settle a debt, and then promptly sold it on for an amount sufficient to retire the amount due. Sounds reasonable, and I think it may well be true.

BBK

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2015, 03:26:06 »
Looks like it sold for $215,100

Spoke to the seller today before the end of the auction.  The story he told was a bit odd. Did not inspire confidence to bid.

Classicus

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2015, 09:15:01 »
Interesting sale, could you clarify a little more....?

Thanks

Jam2

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2015, 10:05:01 »
The listing says that it did not reach the reserve, so perhaps a 'no sale.'

BBK

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2015, 03:31:34 »
Viewing the auction on my IPad on one screen I did not see that the reserve was not met, but on a different screen, I see where it says the reserve was no met. So, it looks like the car did not sell.

The seller said he has owned the car three different times, which i find a little odd. When I asked him why he owned it three different times his response was sort of vague and he didn't really answer.  I mentioned that the photos were taken at Fantasy Junction and what the story was. He said that it was stored there by Bruce Trenery (the owner) for 6 years.  He did not elaborate on it really as to why the car was in storage so long.

This car seems to have a "story" post the ownership by Bruce Milner it seems.  I do not know the owner and his story was not really confidence inspiring to me. Word to the wise is to tread carefully and verify what the actual situation is with this car if interested in purchasing.