Author Topic: 428/ Cobra conversion costs & Fastbacks ?  (Read 11563 times)

Classicus

• View Profile
428/ Cobra conversion costs & Fastbacks ?
« on: May 05, 2007, 13:49:03 »
Given the occasional recent very disheartening mentions of 428's being converted into Cobras but not knowing a thing about all the different costs involved, I’ve started wondering just what sort of price a 428 has got to be in order to make a Cobra conversion hopelessly uneconomical ? Wouldn't this then represent the genuine market value of a 428 ? Whatever its condition as there were so few to begin with ?

Also just a personal opinion (!) but whilst the 428 is unquestionably the greatest and finest classic of all, everyone always seems to be talking about convertibles !! [:D] Doesn’t anyone like the Fastback as well which to me is so much more stylish, distinctive and the ultimate exemplification of Derek Hurlock’s original concept ?

It really leaves you wondering if there are any left at all ! [:)]

Emmanueld

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2007, 15:33:48 »
Classicus, years ago it would have made sense to convert a Frua to a Cobra because of the lack of Cobra parts. Even today, if the Frua is too far gone and is missing a lot of unavailable trim parts, it might still be a viable thing to do. After all you get valid registration papers with it. I don't think many Fruas' were converted! I might be wrong.

Coupe or convertible? I like them both. Convertible value is higher like with most vintage cars.

Emmanuel

cliffordl

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2007, 23:15:01 »
I spent some time reading up on old copies of the AC club magazine prior to buying CF25. A 1990's issue had a detailed list of what and where and who owned specific models (something that todays data protection act might spoil).
   Presumably the club still has records of how may convertibles and fastbacks are known of?

administrator

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2007, 12:32:31 »
Indeed it does - join the club and you will get access to the register, which is on the Members' Pages!

Classicus

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2007, 12:04:15 »
Not sure if the 428 Frua has the same chassis as the 289 Cobra apart from the extra 6" in length, but if it does out of curiosity has anyone any idea what you'd have to pay these days for a 289 ?

runt

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2007, 14:37:40 »
Hi Classicus, I have to admit (with the greatest of respect to owners of the convertible..) I think the fastback is STUNNING, one of the prettiest front engine GTs ever.
   A 289 Mk 3 I thought had the same chassis as the 427? Anyway; value..a 289 Mk 3 in impeccable condition.. £150k plus..?

Paul/runt.[:)]

Classicus

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2007, 15:59:56 »
Totally agree with you about the fastback, as you say definitely stunning and for me visually speaking streets ahead of all the digitally cloned blobs on the roads these days! [8D] What's your favourite colour and wheel style ? I've often wondered what a two tone would look like too !

Haven't the faintest about the rest ! [:I]

runt

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2007, 17:05:17 »
Well..as I've not (yet!) arrived in that world of tranquil utter contentment where I have convinced the trouble and strife that a 428 fastback is the essential stable partner for the Dax.. never mind, I'll answer the question:I'd have one painted in the beautiful micatallic Regency Red that my old 1980's XJ6 wore; a Frua in that color and Borranis would be like Minogue in Agent Provocateur; Nirvana!
   BTW, I'm expecting a flood of complaints from 289 owners should I have guessed too low; appologies in advance..

Paul.[:)]

Classicus

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2007, 18:28:41 »
I've just remembered looking in the boot of a 428 fastback years ago after I'd overheard presumably the owner pointing out a petrol pipe that ran right across the rear of the boot floor from offside to nearside, running parallel and very close to the rear bumper. I've often wondered why they located it there as it seems one heck of a risky place in the event of someone kindly shunting you up the rear !

runt

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2007, 19:29:32 »
Mmm..they'd have to catch you first..

Paul.[:)]

Classicus

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2007, 19:44:56 »
"Good evening officer - yes I was just thinking the same...."