Author Topic: Just saved another one TPC 843  (Read 7545 times)

GSouthee

• Climate warming bring it on, save heating.
    • View Profile
Just saved another one TPC 843
« on: October 16, 2015, 19:08:33 »
Hi ya got the bug, just bought another 2 litre saloon this one in some disrepair, but with lots of new bits on engine and body panels in great nick and ash frame pretty good in the main. Will put a link on to some pics of it shortly.  Reg TPC834 Chassis EL1750 U Engine MB1731w, Its not listed on the register and has been off road for a long time. It has got is old style V% so will need to get it re registered with DVLA (that will joy I am sure). Now got to get it collected from Aberystwyth. I think as the interior is shot this may not be a project more in line with being turned into a race style alloy panelled and etc etc But I will see.

I note from the 2 Litre register the engine was originally listed as originally being in a Buckland EL1730.

What does the W suffix mean on the engine number?

How do I get hold of the 2 litre register man? So it can be added to his list.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/7h8gpt2nhx5774c/AADAdoXJcA3l_7vENdk-Chdya?dl=0

Cheers let me know any comments.  G
A car is only original once, but, you can modify it as many times as you like.

My car my rules.

PPJ834

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2015, 16:05:46 »
Hello and well done. I look forward to seeing your progress. The "W" in the engine number is for "Wellworthy" pistons fitted. The 2litre registrar is Tom Dine his details are in the ACtion.

GSouthee

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2015, 18:48:33 »
Hi PP

Cheers for that about the W,

found it in action last night cheers anyway.

Need to give it good look over when it comes home as not seen it myself a friend who lives in the pool had a look see, though not sure he knows too much about ash frames, but for the price still looks a good deal.

G

My car my rules.

PPJ834

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2015, 00:45:07 »
Well the go too man is Ian Strange when it comes to 2 Litre restoration all the very best. Tony.

tim isles

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2015, 14:47:18 »
Engine appears to be fitted with 1 1/4" SUs (and manifolds) from an Ace. Is the engine number the same as that on the chassis plate or a replacement? Thanks, Tim

GSouthee

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2015, 15:07:47 »
Hi tim

According to my friend who viewed it, the engine number was as on the plate but he said it was not very clear. He did not check the engine for the number. Hi yes I thought they could be 1 1/14's or the later 1 1/8's. I hope 1 1/4 is.  Will update when i get it home.

My car my rules.

3.5 Pints at the Bar

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2015, 19:08:06 »
The engine number on the brass plate will be the original, and presumably says UMB1751. You'll have to check the number on the dynamo flange to find if it has changed engines. Those carbs should liven up its performance. I hope this AC has good wood :)

GSouthee

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2015, 19:51:23 »
Hi  3.5

Yes I am aware and I assume that my friend  has read the number wrong as records show it should be engine UMB1751w, he did say the plate was not clear and did know to look at the engine it self.  I also hope the wood is as good as he thought it is. But for the price I have paid I am sure I will be in pocket with everything else anyway. Will be looking forward to its arrival. and may have to make use of your wood diagrams etc.

Cheers G

My car my rules.

GSouthee

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2015, 14:44:37 »
Hi ya

It seems I may have been done with this car. As have foolishly paid a £1000 deposit on it and now alleged owner has vanished and so has car. It also appears that this car was on sale on Ebay USA in September and was sold. The US seller assures me he had the car over there. The pics were the same. My friend who knows nothing about AC has gone back to where the car was and is no where in sight. He is not even sure the pics are the same car as he thought it had more paint on it than that but was generally in the same condition. I should have known better due to my old employment, but sometimes when you see what is good deal your are blinded. Yeah I know if its to good to be true then it is. However I will track this individual down sooner or later. He had such good knowledge of the Marque and the car but in hindsight should have been concerned re the wrong engine number, but he did eventually give the right one UMB1751w and a plausible reg no. of TPC843. Not sure how he managed that with out the log book or the car as none of the pictures show it.Still upwards and onwards. Next time I find one I will go and look and collect it at the same time. And at least we know that EL1750 still exists somewhere in the USA (maybe).

My car my rules.

3.5 Pints at the Bar

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2015, 15:34:29 »
Oh my word! That really is terrible luck. I hope that you do recover your lost funds. A quick Google image search brought up this car on the Barn Finds website:

http://barnfinds.com/motoring-monday-1950-ac-2-litre-2-door-saloon/

The reg. no. you were given, is almost the same as a derelict 4 door AC, TPC842, that was auctioned 3 years ago in the UK:

https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/19767/lot/264/

Note the selling price (£805 UKP) which was unbelievably low for one with a servicable engine.

GSouthee

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2015, 18:38:40 »
Yes  I found that one to.   Was so looking forward to getting stuck in, and those SU's were were worth at least half what was going to pay.

One lives and learns.

Cheers  G

My car my rules.

REV

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2015, 23:32:10 »
Thats not a nice experience.

Many of us have placed ourselves in harms way when buying a car, but luckily I've never had that happen as yet.

Keep cheerful.

:-)

GSouthee

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2015, 12:47:15 »
Cheers REV.

Yep got stung but that's part of life's rich tapestry, (well thats what I tell myself. Still you never know I may catch up with the bugger one day too.

G

My car my rules.

Jam2

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2015, 19:56:47 »
Is it wothwhile trying to get the police involved, its a clear case of fraud?

GSouthee

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2015, 10:00:11 »
Hi Jam already done though Police do not deal with fraud have to use govt site actionfraud and they pass it to the relevant agency. Also got banks involved.

Cheers  Gary

My car my rules.