Author Topic: Original Parts  (Read 2567 times)

Morgy

• View Profile
Original Parts
« on: September 17, 2015, 16:25:11 »
Hi All

where do you guys source your parts from for your AC COB or Shelby CSX 260-289 cars ?

Things like brake discs, pads,Callipers, suspension bushes, wheel bearings, etc etc

Regards
   Mark

rr64

• View Profile
Original Parts
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2015, 19:33:18 »
Bearings:
   Most bearings (plain, taper, or ball) are easy enough to get something for service at large industrial or power and motion type supply houses. I bought a bronze plain bearing (a.k.a. bush, bushing) for my steering pinion through McMaster-Carr Supply for example. If you know any manufacturer's number most places can cross reference it to a modern equivalent or better.  (Or better? I could not find anybody except one place in the UK that had exact same service steering pinion standard Conrad type ball bearing. The place I found had new old stock original maker bearings. Unfortunately he priced them so high he priced me out. I upgraded to a heavier duty rated SKF® bearing the same size for a fraction of the cost.)

I never found exact replacement thrust bearings for road spring and suspension upright joints so I reverse engineered them and had some made. I went further and had some made plus and minus 0.005 and 0.010 inch so I could select fit.

Spring eye bushes are standard ones reduced in length to match the spring eyes they are fit into. Having a plain bearing handbook on your desk makes finding replacements pretty easy.

Once years ago I got every service part for a 427 Cobra suspension and drive line except the differential input cup and cone set and half shaft slip joint seals in one trip to the local industrial supply firm. The company I chose to do business with had to special order the Timken® brand differential input bearings from the UK for me.  I didn’t ask for 427 Cobra parts, I took in the list of O.E.M. numbers I made as I dismantled the car.

Brake Pads and hydraulic kits:
   Brake pads for cars after about CSX2188 are frequently on ebay® or at least they have been. I have purchased nos/nors AC Cars used versions and nos Shelby American versions at very reasonable costs. I can’t tell you about pads for earlier chassis because I have never hunted any for them. Porterfield in the USA (believe that is the correct name) has or will make brake pads for just about any popular sports car.

I have been getting hydraulic over haul kits where ever I could find them, including ebay® auctions.
Dan Case
1964 Cobra owner since 1983, Cobra crazy since I saw my first one in the mid 1960s in Huntsville, AL.