Author Topic: Greyhound steering rack  (Read 3157 times)

14kenyons

• View Profile
Greyhound steering rack
« on: September 02, 2015, 11:20:14 »
Anyone have an idea as to the makers of the post war Greyhound steering rack? Fixing bolts to the chassis run parallel to the rack, not through clamps.

Any help appreciated!

nikbj68

• View Profile
Greyhound steering rack
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2015, 00:55:23 »
Well I thought someone else might have chimed in by now!
   It`s a Morris rack, possibly Minor, or MO, but there are differences!
   I definitely replaced tie rods with Minor units. Do you have a specific issue with your rack?
   Nik.

AK1161

• View Profile
Greyhound steering rack
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2015, 06:29:41 »
If you have any issues with the rack or need an overhaul then I recommend Simon at Steering Services in Wescott near Dorking. Very old school and very effective with a knowledge second to none.

14kenyons

• View Profile
Greyhound steering rack
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2015, 12:01:10 »
Thanks for the updates, chaps. Got some back and forward play on the steering column (about 1/16") which is definitely coming from the pinion, not a loose bottom pinch bolt and also movement on the track rods. Not huge, but thought I'd pull it out the winter (after Goodwood) and get it sorted.

Many thanks for all the advice.

nikbj68

• View Profile
Greyhound steering rack
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2015, 13:14:50 »
1/16" isn`t a huge amount of movement(although Dad has just checked and there isn`t a measureable amount on ours), does it correspond with slack between rack and pinion gear? You may be able to take up the play in the pinion on the endcap, below:

...And play in the tie rod inner joints can be "shimmed out" by separating the joint and removing shim or shims to suit:

Both jobs can be done without pulling the rack, although getting the tie rods apart is a pain, if you don`t have the correct tools; I ended up having to hold the base of the tie rod in a lathe whilst turning the cap with first, a C-spanner, and then Stilsons!

The Morris Minor rack is fitted to the Minor with the pinion on top of the rack, but on the Greyhound, the pinion is underneath, so is it a LHD rack fitted upside down?

Hopefully see you at Goodwood!