Author Topic: Paint  (Read 2862 times)

• View Profile
Paint
« on: September 01, 2015, 22:33:11 »
Can anybody tell me what is the code/number etc of AC Cars MAIL RED from 1957[?]

Best,
   Ashley Wills

bobbylangley

• View Profile
Paint
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2015, 13:43:29 »
Ashley, I have a set of colour swatches, A.C. Cars colours by Valentine from a letter written in 1961. It has Mail Red as one of the swatches and the reference number is 19359. Sorry for delay, knew I had it somewhere, just had to find it!

B.P.Bird

• View Profile
Paint
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2015, 15:05:03 »
Ashley & Bobby,
   That is half the trick - what is needed now is a conversion from the Valentines' numbers to a current manufacturer's paint range. If you should find such information please let us all know. I fear that this will not be possible and only colour matching from a sample will be a way forward. It can be done, but is not so simple as might be thought. As I understand it modern scanning techniques do not work with cellulose. To get an idea of what is involved see John Deveson's article on A.C. Racing Green/ Jewellessence Mist Green in 'ACtion' for February 2015.
   Fingers crossed for you.

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
Paint
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2015, 19:13:14 »
   Ashley

Back in 1999 I used the services of Morelli & Co who were based at 52-60 Baker Street High Wycombe HP11 2RX.

They used their reference library and many Fish slides to establish correct mix for my 1949 Bordeaux Red paint for my 1949 Std VW Beetle.

Despite the many changes in rules and regulations which have occurred over the years regards  cellulose v water based paint , Morelli were able to mix the correct colour, they even offered to mix in a dulling agent in order to achieve the correct finish.

If they no longer exist in High Wycombe their Head office  was unit2 Baird Road, Enfield, Middlesex, EN1 1SJ ...e-mail at the ime (1999)
   headoffice@morelli.co.uk.

Not sure if this helps but you never know till you have tried....[;)]

Good Luck

Keith