Author Topic: Cleaning stone- chip from under wings  (Read 2449 times)

Exowner

• View Profile
Cleaning stone- chip from under wings
« on: September 01, 2015, 18:49:09 »
Hi all.
   I put this post as a reply to an earlier post, however, I thought I'd give it a try as a fresh topic, one that I hope someone has encountered and overcome in the past.

Hi all, I'm trying to decide how to protect the underside of my front wings on the Ace.
   If I go down the mesh shield route I can copy the Aceca which has that sort of set up. I have already obtained 10mm closed cell foam and high temperature adhesive. My big concern with going down the foam route is removing the sprayed-on stone chip coating that has been on there for possibly decades and is now rock hard. It appears to be the stuff that many manufactures used to spray along sills, then over sprayed with body colour. I need to get back to nice roughed up bare aluminium. I'm loathed to use a heat gun for fear of damaging the paintwork. Tying to soften it with a solvent would be messy beyond belief. I tried a test 'scrape' and I fear that I'd do more damage than any stone chip that I'm likely to come across!
   Does anyone have any knowledge of the mesh guards that Keith Lessiter has mentioned, in a related post, by Classic Autos? It would save making them if the stone chip has to stay!
   Any suggestions?
   Glenn

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2015, 20:28:41 »
Glen

I don't want to appear rude,  But did you  Actually contact Aubrey Finburgh [?].....He is very helpful.

Just give him a call or better still arrange visit and see the mesh guards, they are well made and do exactly what you want.

He should have samples and confirm who has used them in the past.

Keith

Klassik Metall

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2015, 20:32:21 »
Rather than trying to remove the present coating, why not pressure wash the arches clean and then apply a more suitable coating. I use two coats of Terotex 2000 and haven't  encountered any problems with paint damage from stone impacts.

I've also used polyurethane spray on sealer on the inside of a D Type Jaguar nose to prevent such damage.

I've seen the mesh guards that you mention but I'm afraid I've got no personal experience of their usefulness, however I can't see any reason why they wouldn't provide an effective solution.

Regards Luke.

Exowner

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2015, 11:47:38 »
Keith, I didn't contact Aubrey because I'm well aware of all things 'mesh'. I like to hear recommendations form users. If I'd decided to go the mesh route I'd definitely have spoken to him but I think I'll go with Luke's method. Thanks Keith, and good to hear you got home form the International without undue hassle. See you at the sprint? Cheers, Glenn
   Luke, That's the way, I think. as I've already got a reasonably good coating of some solidity, an extra coating or two of a flexible nature should do the job. I managed to buy 3 litres and an application gun for £25!!
   Many thanks, Glenn