Author Topic: Ace AC thermostat  (Read 3669 times)

pjbowman

• View Profile
Ace AC thermostat
« on: August 24, 2015, 02:49:52 »
My Ace seems to actually be running too cool, so I'm guessing I need to replace the thermostat - either there is none in the housing, or it's stuck open. What cars used the equivalent thermostat and gasket? TR2 looks similar from the parts diagram, anyone know for sure?
Peter B.

Klassik Metall

• View Profile
Ace AC thermostat
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2015, 07:58:59 »
The original bellows type thermostat fitted to the AC engine is pretty large both in height and diameter when compared to a modern unit. What you could do is have a look at your local parts  supplier for a modern unit with a suitable temperature range and then fit this unit in the original housing using a brass or aluminium spacer ring. This ring locates in the recess in the original housing and is simple to make if you have access to a lathe. The gasket can be easily cut out from thick Klingersil type gasket paper.

Regards Luke.

pjbowman

• View Profile
Ace AC thermostat
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2015, 02:04:08 »
Luke (or anyone) - do you have a picture of an original thermostat? And maybe measurements?
Peter B.

Klassik Metall

• View Profile
Ace AC thermostat
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2015, 07:12:13 »
Yes,I've got an old thermostat somewhere & will post photos and measurements later today.

Klassik Metall

• View Profile
Ace AC thermostat
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2015, 19:51:40 »
The thermostat measures 2  5/16" diameter is 3 3/8" tall and the lip where it sits in the housing recess is 5/32" thick.

The original Smiths part No. is 30063/18 and the opening temperature is marked as 78 c 172f.

• View Profile
Ace AC thermostat
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2015, 01:49:32 »
Thames Ditton advised me March /97 "Should thermostat need to be replaced, fit aluminium washer to indentation in housing top face and size accordingly for a Ford bellows type replacement."

This advice is basically what Luke advised except for the additional info re the Ford replacement.

The markings on my original thermostat were "Smiths 3065/8 78C 172F."

Jonathan

pjbowman

• View Profile
Ace AC thermostat
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2015, 05:15:53 »
Thanks gents! I'll probably wait for winter weather before I pull the housing off to see what (if anything) is in there. Good to have this info.
Peter B.