Author Topic: Lambda sensors  (Read 4164 times)

David S

• View Profile
Lambda sensors
« on: January 05, 2016, 11:00:10 »
Having had all the exhaust system replaced, only just noticed that there is no Lambda sensors in front of the Catalyst. So 2 simple questions - should their be Lambda sensors fitted and if so which sensors should be fitted (I assume they vary dependent on the car)?

Max Allan

• View Profile
Lambda sensors
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2016, 18:49:29 »
There's a sensor located on each down pipe. Can't help on the type fitted, but someone here is bound to know. Failing that the Mustang Forum is your best bet.

Why did you replace the entire system? Apart from rear box exhaust is stainless.

David S

• View Profile
Lambda sensors
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2016, 11:47:51 »
Hi Max, all 4 Cats had detached/twisted/ broken up, the exhaust system it self was poorly built with some parts of the pipes reduced in diameter, the fixings where broken and the welds onto the silencers had been repaired badly and whilst could be repaired it made more sense to bin the exhaust and have new one made. Now running 1 Cat per side and increased bore to 2 1/4.
   Have also replaced the manifold as it was cracked and had a few small holes however, the exhaust outlet on the headers was small than the manifold outlets and thus was leaking. I would also add that again the manifold was poorly made with different length pipes and bends that reduced the diameter of the pipe.
   With these changes the car is now showing 270 bhp with 340 torque, next up is to increase the fuel system.

Max Allan

• View Profile
Lambda sensors
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2016, 21:07:56 »
Hi David. Yeah - your right the headers (manifolds) are a joke! The ports are so restrictive they strangle the engine. I fitted Ford Racing ceramic coated tubular headers, which still look good after 10 years. But with the Ford Racing replacements I encountered the opposite situation - the header ports are bigger than the ports in AFR heads that replaced the stock heads. I queried this with AFR's technical department who said it was intentional to stop boundary layer gas reversal back into the heads. Having manifold ports larger than the head ports was news to me, but I finally decided against rectifying the mismatch. However, I couldn't resist matching up the inlet manifold/head tracts. Doubt it made much difference, but made me feel good!

If you haven't managed to track down the lambdas fitted try posting the question on www.mustangworks.com - Windsor Power forum. (Post a pic of the car if you can - that'll get them excited - least it did many years ago when I posted questions.) Obviously the 302 is no longer flavour of the month, but doubtless there are still people knowledgeable in all things 94/95 Ford 5.0 Mustang on the forum.