Author Topic: Fuse for the brakes  (Read 4048 times)

David S

• View Profile
Fuse for the brakes
« on: July 18, 2015, 11:18:29 »
Last week having had some work done on the electrics and the usual problem of the car not showing the main reason for taking it to the electrician. On picking the car up and having driven less than a mile, but had used the brakes, coming up to a stop at a T-junction- foot on the brakes - brakes malfunction in the could only move the pedal a few mm before being to hard to press. Managed to get home, then to local mechanics this week who confirmed not a mechanical but electrical. Returned the car to the electrician and they eventually found that fuse 8 in the central fuse box had blown and when replaced the brakes worked. The warning of this long worded story is that fuse 8 is for the radio[:0], therefore have increaed the fuse from 5 to 30 and will look to get a warning light wired up to the fuse so I know when I lose the brakes.
   Now I know others have played with my electrics but it might be worth checking your cars to make sure you do not have the same problem.

Wally

• View Profile
Fuse for the brakes
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2015, 00:03:13 »
Do you know what brake system is on your car?

Our car has Teves system (and I think it is Mk4 but would have to check to confirm). This has a warning light for low brake fluid level and handbrake on, and also has a light for when the brake pump pressure is lower than a set limit. If it is the same system you should hear the pump run after you press the brakes a few times.

Wally

David S

• View Profile
Fuse for the brakes
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2015, 14:34:13 »
I understand that DE1061 also has the Teves system Mk4. Has the same warning lights although none of them came on when the brakes malfunctioned.