Author Topic: Which 289 Cobra at Moray Motor Museum?  (Read 8862 times)

SunDude

• View Profile
Which 289 Cobra at Moray Motor Museum?
« on: July 11, 2015, 16:43:12 »
Does anyone know which AC 289 Cobra is on display at the Moray Motor Museum?  I can't seem to identify it in the thousands of Cobra photos I've collected.

Registration plate is YKV 1.

Cobra Ned

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2015, 06:36:49 »
A couple of things strike me: the car is RHD, yet it has the Shelby "Powered by Ford" badges on the side. These were not used on the COB/COX cars in the 60's. In addition, the location of these is incorrect, as they are directly over the side vents. The car also has later Lucas parking lamps, like those found on late 427 cars. Again, these were never used at the factory on the 60's COB/COX cars. My guess? It is a newer reproduction.

Rob.Hendriks

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2015, 06:53:32 »
Another strange thing is the wipers "parked" on the wrong side,  majority of RHD cars have wipers that park on the right and vice-versa. Could it be a LHD conversion ?

A-Snake

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2015, 06:58:28 »
quote:
Originally posted by Cobra Ned

A couple of things strike me: the car is RHD, yet it has the Shelby "Powered by Ford" badges on the side. These were not used on the COB/COX cars in the 60's. In addition, the location of these is incorrect, as they are directly over the side vents. The car also has later Lucas parking lamps, like those found on late 427 cars. Again, these were never used at the factory on the 60's COB/COX cars. My guess? It is a newer reproduction.

And the wipers park on the wrong side. [;)]

nikbj68

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2015, 16:04:07 »
We shall have to call on the services of Barrie Bird, as he is probably the most local to the Moray Museum...

B.P.Bird

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2015, 18:02:17 »
Nik,
   Long while since I saw that car, but from memory it was built up by Brian Wingfield as a Ford press car. I think you will find the story if you look in the Ace Register. See AEX 1050. See also the Cobra Register 'Appendix. Replica Leaf Spring Cars.' As with all Brian Wingfield's cars very nicely done. I remember Ford used to loan her to various journalists for the Ray Wiltshire Legends run to le Mans every June which might explain why they preferred something a bit less valuable than an original.

nikbj68

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2015, 20:52:15 »
Aha! Barripedia to the rescue! The reg. number hAs changed from that in the Cobra Appendix, which is why I couldn't find it!

nikbj68

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2015, 22:07:41 »
And more! The following, courtesy of Peter de Rousset-Hall:

"Here are  3 pics of what I presume to be the Moray Cobra.   They were taken at the 100th Anniversary of Ford Motor Company at the Dunton test track back in 2003.  The reg number (AOR 692A)  ties up with that in the Register and the shot on track may well be of Bryan Wingfield in the drivers seat?

...the minor instrument bezels and other items looked like more recent than one would expect.

]

I am almost certain that the passenger is Karen Thomas, who is the wife of the then MD of Ford:

All this strongly confirms Barrie’s recollection of the car’s provenance.   The only difference is that the Register shows the car as ex AEX1050, having been re created by Brian Angliss and owned by Bryan Wingfield.

Clearly the same car in both the museum & the 2003 photos, I'd call that job done, eh Brian! [:D]

SunDude

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2015, 22:44:08 »
By George, I think you've all done it!!  Thanks.

Here's another webfind photo of YKV 1, showing that distinctive wide "oil cooler" grille just below the main opening.

rstainer

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2015, 13:43:50 »
Barrie/Nik/Brian,

Well spotted and identified. Tim’s Ace register records AEX1050 as ‘Scrapped in USA. Engine now fitted to AEX113. Identity used by B Angliss to build a replica Cobra.

The Thames Ditton Cobra register replicas appendix records 'VIN Asserted AE1050, Built 1980, Last Known Owner Bryan Wingfield, Additional Information Built by Brian Angliss. RHD. Rounded wheel arches. [Brian Angliss, Rod Leach] (Not an AC chassis number).

Bryan told me ten or so years ago that the replica’s registered VIN was AE1050, not AEX1050, as it was built RHD, thus the ‘Not an AC chassis number’ comment. I’ve added ‘AEX1050 was scrapped in the USA. See Ace Register’.

Finally, a number of the Moray cars are on loan, and the present owner is not known. I may find out more later today.

RS

rstainer

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2015, 16:39:15 »
Interestingly this car’s V5C now identifies it as AE50, as does its chassis tag.

The Thames Ditton Cobra register replicas appendix is now annotated ‘(Original AE50 Ace destroyed; chassis/body used to rebuild BEX401. The AE50 Cobra replica was previously identified as AE1050, not an AC VIN. AC Ace VIN AEX1050 was scrapped in the USA. See Ace Register)’.

VINs AE50 & AEX1050 were previously 'claimed', to the extent that a right to a VIN can be asserted without a V, by Brian Angliss.

RS

SBB

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2015, 00:23:21 »
The Register shows the original car was used to repair BEX 402 in Switzerland by Werner Oswold

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2015, 01:11:10 »
   Simon.

Oh such a tangled web.........

Interesting,  But I think you meant to cross reference with  BEX401 not BEX402.

The web sewn with many Cobras just get's thicker every year,  Lets hope it doesn't cross contaminate the AC Ace  and Ace Bristol's, which today have only two or three in dispute..[:(]

Sorry Tim but, Maybe the Ace registrars can clarify and put records straight..[;)]

Keith

SBB

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2015, 14:40:34 »
Keith

Sorry - finger trouble. I meant BEX  401.

Simon.

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2015, 18:32:00 »
Simon

Easily done, podgy fingers or keys too small, we all experience the same......Usually the keys are too close and too small.
   If some kind Sole does visit The Moray Museum to inspect this Cobra,  can they please lift the bonnet of the light blue Ace behind the Cobra and confirm the chassis number.[?]
   Hopefully it's not a Hawk but a true blue AC Ace...[;)]

Keith