Author Topic: Ginger Baker Cobra  (Read 2735 times)

shep

• View Profile
Ginger Baker Cobra
« on: July 08, 2015, 18:12:42 »
I was watching the BBC1 documentary "Imagine, Beware of Mr. Baker" on Ginger Baker last night. To those of a certain age, he will be the best and craziest drummer of the 60's and 70's. With Eric Clapton and Jack Bruce they formed the band Cream, which changed the path of rock music worldwide. In the documentary he described a trip where he drove a Shelby Cobra up the coast to Los Angeles with "3 gorgeous chicks" on board. The illustration was not a Mustang but a Cobra. Does anyone know anything about the car. On BBC iplayer it is about 37 mins into the film, but as I say they used an illustration rather than photos.

MkIV Lux

• View Profile
Ginger Baker Cobra
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2015, 20:28:30 »
How can one get 3 gorgeous chicks into a Cobra, plus the driver...[?][;)]
   at least one chick must have been sitting on Ginger's shoulders, no space to sit on his knees [:D];

we might try it out on the International in August.. but ain't no chicks around.. only ladies [;)]

rstainer

• View Profile
Ginger Baker Cobra
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2015, 23:09:10 »
This comes, I believe, from GB’s 2009 autobiography: “One day, I was driving along the coastal 101 route from LA to San Francisco with three tasty chicks in a Shelby Cobra. The radio announcer said: 'We’ve stopped the music to tell you that Blind Faith drummer Ginger Baker has just been found dead from an overdose of heroin in his hotel room'. I looked round at the chicks and thought: “****ing hell! I must be in heaven!”

The Cobra sketch illustration (GB + two, not three, TCs) is marketing copy for the later ‘Beware of Mr Baker’ film.

GB’s recollection is no more reliable than his ‘heaven’ conclusion. In addition to Constant’s observations:
  • Would a California owner, even in a very relaxed frame of mind, lend a Cobra to GB?
  • Listening to a radio in a Cobra?
  • Story of claimed 1968 event heard for the first time forty years later?
  • Isn't the set-up for the punch line a bit too obvious?

It doesn’t pass the smell test.

RS