Author Topic: Clutch Slave cylinder angle  (Read 4381 times)

pjbowman

• View Profile
Clutch Slave cylinder angle
« on: July 06, 2015, 21:20:38 »
Can anyone tell me, based on the pictures below, if the angle for the actuator rod from the clutch slave cylinder is typical for what others see on their Ace? I've had an intermittent problem of when I release the clutch pedal, nothing happens - the clutch doesn't engage. I thought it might be the cylinder itself, but before I replace that, want to see if the angle as shown is typical, or if somehow mine has been altered, causing it to hang periodically.

Peter B.

Klassik Metall

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2015, 21:33:28 »
The slave cylinder mounting bracket is bent out of line due to the fact that the outer of the two mounting bolts is incorrect. The correct outer bolt is made up of a long threaded 5/16 rod that is mounted in one of the bell housing flange holes and then angles back to pass through the slave cylinder bracket. This prevents the mounting bracket from flexing backwards as your picture shows.

regards Luke.

pjbowman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2015, 21:55:03 »
Luke, can you send or post a picture?
Peter B.

Klassik Metall

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2015, 22:39:13 »
I'll try to take a photo of a clutch slave set up tomorrow.

Robin A Woolmer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2015, 15:50:53 »
Peter
   There is clearly something wrong with the slave cylinder shaft angle as it should be basically in line with the clutch arm it connects to, the cylinder bracket does not look original which appears to keep the cylinder too far away from the bell housing body, the flange is possibly ninety degrees out.
   A new bracket could be made to correct this allowing the cylinder to be nearer the bell/gearbox housing, hopefully the pictures you are promised will help!

pjbowman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2015, 17:45:16 »
Thanks Robin, as soon as I looked at it I figured something was not right! If Luke can supply a picture I'm sure I can make up a new bracket and position the slave properly. Even if he can't, I can probably mock something up that will get things in line.
Peter B.

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2015, 19:35:01 »
   Peter.

The bracket looks/ appears to be home made, the rod should the square to the cylinder, Hopefully someone posts clear picture of correct bracket.  A man of your calibre should have no problem in fabricating a suitable bracket, even if deviating from Thames Ditton original.

The Bracket on BEX333 is not original, however every thing lines up as it ought..[;)]

Keith

Klassik Metall

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2015, 19:44:51 »
I managed to dig out an old and somewhat rusty gearbox, but at least it's complete with the clutch slave assembly. As you can see from the photos the slave bracket is prevented from flexing backwards by the long 5/16" diameter rod.

Also, the photo taken from above shows that the slave push rod should be in line with the clutch release lever.

All the best, Luke.

pjbowman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2015, 14:03:23 »
Thanks Luke!
Peter B.

pjbowman

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2015, 14:05:23 »
And thanks Keith, for the vote of confidence!
Peter B.

pjbowman

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2015, 01:46:14 »
Thanks to all who provide info! Thought I'd update what I did.

After removing the bracket, the bend is obvious:

Also, discovered that the 'arm' wasn't perpendicular to the side bracket, resulting in a sideways push.

So first step was to cut the arm, bend it out perpendicular, then fill the gap with my MIG welder.

After smoothing the welds, and a few minutes in the blast cabinet, the bracket is looking much better.

The actuating arm was bent also, so I made a new one.

Bracket all painted and ready to reinstall.

Thanks to Luke's photo, I was able to make a new rod that ties the bell housing to the bracket to prevent the bending from occurring in the future.

And everything back in place, the new 'tie' rod in place, and everything lines up nicely!

Thanks again, will see what I come up with next!

Cheers.
Peter B.