Author Topic: Wanted - 18" wire wheel(s)  (Read 2662 times)

BE774

• View Profile
Wanted - 18" wire wheel(s)
« on: June 17, 2015, 11:36:16 »
3.25 x 18 72-spoke for my 1936 AC. Anything considered from mint to restorable to a good standard, please. Email in first instance to 123gbw at gmail dot com. Thanks in anticipation...[:)]
Barbara

Robin A Woolmer

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2015, 14:10:44 »
Can I suggest that finding wheels in good condition that exact fit your car will be most difficult, this is a safety critical part so it would be better to consider purchasing new wheels from a respectable source such as Motor Wheel Services in Slough, unfortunately it is likely they will have to be made to fit your car & therefore expensive but much safer.
   The only similar cars with such wheels are SS100 & one of the large MG's of the period, I understand MWS actually hold these in stock but very much doubt they will be exactly to your car specification, PVT AC cars had a subtly different 52mm hub to other cars of the period for which Orson Equipment were good enough to manufacture a few years ago!

Robin

BE774

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2015, 14:30:12 »
quote:
Originally posted by Robin A Woolmer

PVT AC cars had a subtly different 52mm hub to other cars of the period for which Orson Equipment were good enough to manufacture a few years ago!

Robin

Robin, can you expand on this point for me please, to assist my search?
Barbara

Robin A Woolmer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2015, 14:56:23 »
I am not sure what you need to know however when I needed hubs for my 16/80 which had worn splines particularly on the rear axle which takes the reverse loading of acceleration & braking, I expected the hubs would be similar to SS/Jaguar cars which used the same chassis & ENV axles, but they were dimensionally different! So I decided to do an engineering drawing of my hubs & liaised which Orson   who were good enough to verify the finite dimensions using there metrology equipment, I was able to arrange for Orson to manufacture small batches of them for sale to owners, initially they made about ten sets of rears & later made the front hubs as well which I re-specified the Timken bearing as the original bearings in my car fractured due to there thin outer ring!
   Orson I understand made at least three batches of hubs which sold to owners over a few years, however now whilst the New owners are willing to make these hubs they are reluctant to stock them, so have sold a batch to Mr Briggs who will stock & sell them on! I am pleased to say I have spare hubs for my cars & some of my Customers also purchased them direct from Orson!
   If you have wheels then you might find it sensible to have them re-conditioned by a reputable company such as MWS who will check the wheel hubs for wear as well as the rims & spokes etc, I found that the wheel hubs do not wear as much as the axle hubs as they are rotated over there life so not staying on the rear axle all the time, one key issue is to look carefully at the axle hub wear & replace them if too far gone!
   If you need a broader reply give me a call>

Robin