Author Topic: Window weatherstrip  (Read 8067 times)

paho

• View Profile
Window weatherstrip
« on: June 10, 2015, 10:55:32 »
I've been searching unsuccesfully for replacement outer weatherstrips (door glass seals) for the windows, and 'd' profile rubber protection strips that run along the side of door and wings, for my Ace.

Does anybody know where I can source these?
   BR /Paho
"Blessed are those that don't ask for they shall not receive"

Max Allan

• View Profile
Window weatherstrip
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2015, 22:13:34 »
According to dealer Duncan Hamilton when they supplied the last hard top complete with inappropriate seals back in 2000 as part of deal to sell me my Ace, the seals were specially made to AC's spec. When I rejected the top they managed to locate a set, but said there were no more. Assuming they were right, 15 years on I doubt there are any more seals stashed away somewhere.

Adrian_S

• View Profile
Window weatherstrip
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2015, 22:34:04 »
Hi Paho, I recently bought 3m lengths of this product to use on my hard top http://www.carbuildersolutions.com/uk/eared-rubber-door-aperture-seal plus http://www.carbuildersolutions.com/uk/leaf-rubber-door-aperture-seal for the base of the windscreen. This is superb quality and the car is now (almost) watertight! Car Builder Solutions are an excellent company and despatch many products same day - highly recommended! PS: Thanks for your help with the ball joint info - much appreciated!

paho

• View Profile
Window weatherstrip
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2015, 10:25:14 »
Very useful url. I see they have running board trim rubber which looks exactly the same as the rubber, used on the front wing sections nearest the door, that the bonnet rests on.

Unfortunately they don't sell flocked weatherstrip trim that I think would fit. I attach a picture of the offending trim part. As Wally says I think these are specific to the Ace and probably not available. So I´m surfing around for alternatives. The Nissan Navara pick-up from '86 -'97 looks like it could be a likely donor.

paho

• View Profile
Window weatherstrip
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2015, 10:33:59 »
Hi Adrian, Max,
   I see I need somewhere in the cloud to post my picture, before inserting a url into the reply text; that's not going to happen soon I'm afraid. Re the ball-joint info your most welcome, read the update in reply to Max Allen's query.
   BR /Paho

paho

• View Profile
Re: Window weatherstrip
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2018, 14:17:56 »
After almost 3 years I've found a near match replacement outer weather strip for the Ace. The replacement is 10 cms too short to replace the side window section by 10cm, but can be used cut to size for the triangular fixed window section. I used a Land Rover Defender weatherstrip part number ALR5980. One strip is enough for the two fixed window sections.

just have to find an 84cm long section for the rest of the side window.
/Paho
« Last Edit: June 01, 2018, 14:21:12 by paho »

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2018, 14:28:36 »

Paho

Have you tried..... ??   

C.O.H.Baines Limited
Rubber Mouldings & Extrusions
9 Park Road, Tunbridge Wells
Kent  TN4 9JP
England

tel:   01892 543311

They have a vast range of profiles ,  Manufacture and sell to private individuals but predominately trade,  will cut  to length or by the roll.    ;)

Good Luck

Keith

Max (Allan)

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2018, 11:25:21 »
Looking at C.O.H.Baines website they can manufacture seals to customer requirements.

Bearing in mind the Ace window seals are unique to the car and therefore unobtainable (plus deteriorating with time and use), it would make sense for us all to get together and commission the manufacture of a quantity, which might (hopefully) reduce unit cost to something half way reasonable. But I guess it would depends on that actual cost?

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2018, 14:53:18 »
.Paho,  Adrian  &  Max

If one of you who are custodian of a AC Ace Brooklands , carry out a survey of other owners and secure a firm quotation, submit it to the ACOC Council
or  John Abel the official Brooklands Ace registrar.

If there is sufficient interest then the Club would consider funding the project .
I and many other club members have picked up the gauntlet and carried out various projects,   A win  -    Win,   situation.   
Just spend a few hours over the next month or two and Make it happen,  Surely that is  one valued reason of /  for  joining   the AC Owners' Club.

Be Brave..Help yourself and other  Ace Brookland owners ..  ..  ..  ..  Go for it... ;)

Keith

« Last Edit: June 02, 2018, 14:56:06 by AC Ace Bristol »

paho

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2018, 17:07:42 »
Inspiring words Keith,

when I first started the thread I think people misunderstood which seal I was refering to, there are so many names for the same part, plus as I do not place photographs
on 3rd party hosting sites I couldn't illustrate which part I ment. I have contacted a few suppliers in UK and abroad but none had the seal profile needed, so I have patiently
examined different cars for something similar. Best fit sofar is Land Rover Defender, correct profile at least. Fiat Bravo year 2000 model fits but its a different profile.
The Ace seals are made of silicon rubber so they do'nt seem to age at all; mine were glued to the door and damaged on removal when preparing for re-spraying the bodywork.
Hence the need for a replacement. I plan to continue my search for a weatherstrip replacement after the Sofiero Classic meeting (17th. June) in Helsingborg.

I have recently contacted two members of the council over another Ace-related matter, one by direct e-mail and the forum messaging feature
and another by the forum messaging feature with no response from either. There can be many reasons for this, recipients receiving too much spam mail,
mail caught in spam filter, messaging feature not reliable etc. So as not to be to much of a pest (council members are people too with their own lives to live) I will
continue to try to find solutions to any problems I have with my Ace, including tips from the forum and, where appropriate, I will pass the solutions on to other owners
and contributors to the forum and club as they in their turn have done for me.
BR /Paho

"Blessed are those that don't ask, for they shall not receive!"

Adrian_J

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2018, 14:06:19 »
Hi Paho, v impressed with your search of similar vehicles - I have done the same (e.g.measuring rear windows of cars in car parks in the search for hardtop glass) This trim was probably manufactured in continuous strip and cut to length. Trouble is, the Ace doors are quite long and finding a donor vehicle with that kind of length will be difficult. I was surprised to hear a JLR part was the right profile, as AC normally robbed the Ford parts bin! JLR seem to use Cooper-Standard to supply weather seals http://www.cooperstandard.com/products-and-innovations/sealing-and-trim-systems/sealing-trim-products#Fortrex. Alternatively the TVR fraternity may have something (try https://www.racetechdirect.co.uk/car-parts/body-trim/badges-seals-and-cables/) The COH Baines recommendation by Keith AC Ace Bristol  is v much appreciated! Truly awesome range! I, for one, would be interested in investing in new door seals as mine were also damaged on removal.