Author Topic: Suspension Aceca , Please help!  (Read 2328 times)

Stephan

• View Profile
Suspension Aceca , Please help!
« on: April 20, 2007, 12:28:18 »
My Aceca has got new bushes, dampers, tyres, everything but it still has a roadholding to be afraid of. It runs straight without problems but negotiates turns in a terrible way. We removed all panels in the back to see what the suspension is doing while on the run, it lifts the inner wheel at rather slow speeds. Then the lsd cuts in and the car feels awkward. The frame is straight and unbroken, the suspension setup within normal limits. It´s a V8 converted car but that shouldn´t be the problem I think. Any ideas?

Thank you,

Stephan

aex125

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2007, 06:37:35 »
Stephan,
   I'm far from being a suspension expert, but it sounds like you are way too stiff in the rear suspension if your inside wheel is lifting. do both sides lift equally and does the car have stabilizer bars installed? If so try disconnecting them so the suspension can react instead of the stabilizer kicking in. If you have no stabilizer bars, maybe your new bushings are binding up.
   Jay

AEX726

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2007, 23:13:10 »
Stephan

I would agree with Jay that lifting of the rear wheel should not be happening and is probably a sign of suspension issues.  I would also offer that my car was similar when I purchased it - fully rebuilt and tight suspension all around.  On my first test drive I almost lost the car at slow speed as the tires were set at very low air pressure.  Filling them properly helped a bit but it still did not handle properly.  The prior owner had taken the cheap route and installed cross-ply vintage Firestone tires.  After purchasing a set of Michelin X Radials, the car now handles very well.
   Brian