Author Topic: Where to get Ace flat windshield?  (Read 5661 times)

pjbowman

• View Profile
Where to get Ace flat windshield?
« on: June 04, 2015, 00:11:07 »
Is there any commercial source for a windshield for a flat-screen Ace, or do I need to get one custom made?
Peter B.

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2015, 00:39:36 »
Curved and Flat windscreens for the Ace and for Cobras  are available from Chris Glover of  BRASSCRAFT Ltd.

tel: -   01252 782702

Brasscraft ltd
   Farley Mount,
   Hogs Back
   Seale, Farnham.
   Surrey
   GU10 1EU
   England

Can also supply complete chromed brass screen with glass.
   Takes credit card and can export....[;)]
   Very good service.

Keith..[:)]

pjbowman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2015, 01:45:35 »
Thanks Keith. Anyone know of a supplier in the US? I'm afraid the shipping may be a real killer....
Peter B.

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2015, 09:13:47 »
   Peter
   Ron Leonard and Jim Feldman  both have a vast knowledge regards supply of AC items, hopefully one can assist in supply or confirm more local supplier.

Chris Glover sent 3 or 4 screens to USA earlier this year, could be worth contacting him as he may have regularly supply one or two stockists.

Good Luck

Keith

pjbowman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2015, 17:33:00 »
Thanks Keith, will see if Ron or Jim can help. I also found a supplier who says they can make for very reasonable price ($175 US), they just need a pattern.
Peter B.

pjbowman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2015, 18:56:19 »
And a follow-on question - how easy is it to remove the windshield glass on the Ace? At-home job, or best left to a professional? Mine is cracked, will probably come out as 2 pieces, which I will then need to use to make a pattern to send off if I am to have one made.
Peter B.

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2015, 19:16:43 »
quote:
Originally posted by pjbowman

And a follow-on question - how easy is it to remove the windshield glass on the Ace? At-home job, or best left to a professional? Mine is cracked, will probably come out as 2 pieces, which I will then need to use to make a pattern to send off if I am to have one made.

Peter

Very easy to take off car and dismantle,  Best to use new rubber seal and be VERY CAREFULL when re assembling ...MAKE SURE every SCREW CANNOT BOTTOM OUT onto the GLASS, otherwise you end up with a brand new cracked screen,

Been there, done it,  £384.00 to have screen replaced with another new flat glass and supplied back as one unit..... expensive exercise best learnt from others mistake.

Good Luck..[;)]

Keith

pjbowman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2015, 19:48:49 »
Thanks Keith!
Peter B.

alexG

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2015, 22:57:20 »
Perhaps not directly relevant, but just shows what can be done at what cost.
   Finally got the screen back and on the car today on AE01 after 3 months. Total cost <£350 as an Ins job.
   BUT and this is the thing, it was a one off special made curved screen (Pilkington), and the guys at Nat Windscreens stripped it, refitted the new glass, and re-sealed with new rubbers, and re-fitted to the car etc. a superb job.
   Personally I would want a professional to do all that, just in case, oh and cost for a flat screen should be a lot less....

bbrown

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2015, 06:19:32 »
I had Chris ship out a windscreen to California and the shipping wasn't objectionable.  I did this over 10 years ago, so I forgot how much it was.  It would pay to check with him.  His product is excellent.

pjbowman

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2015, 09:46:34 »
Keith/Alex - does the windshield frame have to come apart to replace the glass, or is it just a matter of removing the rubber, replacing the glass, and reinstalling the rubber?
Peter B.

alexG

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2015, 20:59:05 »
the frame comes apart, it has to to get the glass in!

pjbowman

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2015, 19:51:44 »
As an update, I removed the entire assembly, removed the glass from the frame (easy), and am getting a new screen made locally for only $128 USD. Quite the bargain I think!
Peter B.

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2015, 00:22:09 »
   Peter.

Good result !!  

Best replace the rubber seal, If you can't get exACt replacement on your side of the pond, Order strip from Chris at Brasscraft..[;)]
   Chris can also supply new screws if necessary.... Please measure depth of each screw carefully and  cut a little shorter...
   Confuscious he say  "screw in contact with glass results in doing the exercise all over again"..[:(]

Keith..[:)]