Author Topic: AC ACE BRISTOL Chassis No 1100  (Read 2562 times)

mick arnold

• View Profile
AC ACE BRISTOL Chassis No 1100
« on: April 25, 2015, 15:56:26 »
Hi All:
   I am new, my name is mick Arnold in Tasmania Australia.
   I recently purchased an AC Ace Bristol Chassis No.BE1100 Engine No D2 957.
   This car has been hiding in a small garage with out being touched for the last 25 years.
   I purchased it from Colleen Glasby who's husband Eric was an AC dealer in South Africa.
   They bought the car in 1970 so same family ownership for 45 years.
   When they migrated to Tasmania they bought the car with them, Eric passed away many years ago & the car has not seen the light of day for 25 years.
   The car is Red with very light Grey trim with red piping it was this color when Eric bought it in 1970, but It shows signs of being dark metalic Blue.
   I have re commissioned the car  & it is running & driving very well indeed,,it came complete with original hood & side screens & a pristine AC Ace Bristol hand book & sales brochure stamped Glasby Garage
   I would be interested to find out the early history of the car before Eric bought it, can any one help.
   Mick

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2015, 18:00:29 »
   Welcome to the World of AC's and to the Forum.

You have a very good neighbour being Bill Griffiths who has a great well use and well loved Ace Bristol.. Who should be of invaluable assistance ..  ..
   ..  ..( No pressure there then... Bill.)[;)]

According to the few lines in the ACOC Ace Bristol Register:

BEX1100 left Thames Ditton 0n the 24th August 1959, Painted Bright Blue metallic with grey leather interior. With Bristol engine
   # 100D2 957.
   Original Owner  was J Herman-Gill / Berks & Kenya.

2nd owner was Eric E Glasby, During Erics ownership, We believe it was resprayed Red and retained its grey interior.
   Not sure when the Engine was swapped for 100D2 1021, I know when I liaised to purchase a Ex Eric Glasby Ace Bristol in June/July 2000 from
   Mr Jack Clough (Pinetown South Africa)the vender stated that Eric had been very ACtive with his AC's and possibly had three at one time, so engines,
   gearbox , wheels etc could well have recycled between the three Aces..( hopefully research reveals and authenticates more accurate history)..[;)]
   My financial offers were not accepted and I eventually purchased BEX333 from Seattle USA a few months later (Sept/October 2000)..[:)]

I daresay, Tim Isles the Ace Bristol Registrar  will check the register and hopefully furnish you with more information.

Enjoy the Ace and please keep us all informed as your research yields new History.
   In the meantime, if you require any spares or technical information please use the Club Forum where you will usually receive prompt and useful advice and assistance.

Keith..[:)]

mick arnold

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2015, 00:13:43 »
Thanks for that information Keith, that means I am only the third owner.

The original engine is still in the car (100D2 957) so all matching numbers, I don't know why your records would say it has had an engine swap.

Colleen Glasby told me that the car was Red when they bought it in 1970 so the original owner must have changed the color.

Colleen also told me Eric did a lot of racing in AC's but never raced this one, I have seen photos of him racing & trophy's that he won.

The Glasby's were the AC distributers for South Africa that would explain Eric's large involvement in the marque.

You are right about Bill Griffiths being a good neighbour, we have been friends for 50 yrs
   we used to run around in our MG TC's when we were young lads. Bill is also responsible for me ending up with BE1100, It was also his suggestion that I join ACOC.
   Cheers
   Mick