Author Topic: TYRES  (Read 5395 times)

CRS9505

• View Profile
TYRES
« on: April 20, 2015, 16:22:46 »
Not the usual question re 15" wheels/tyres etc but as its probably about time I replaced the original 18 year old set of tyres (still totally unworn)on my CRS ready for Luxembourg. Does anyone have to hand details of the current replacement for the factory fitted Avons ?

AC Ventura

• View Profile
TYRES
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2015, 23:49:15 »
I researched this extensively and even made full size cardboard mock ups to test clearance before ordering some new Avon ZZs recently. The optimal sizes are (fronts) 225/65/R15 (rears) 275/55/R15. Despite the folklore, the 65s don't foul my arches, look great and are virtually the same diameter as the rears. Vitally,  they give more front ground clearance compared to the smaller diameter 60 profile that is also available. You can also get 295/50/15s for the rears, but my findings showed these too marginal. My car is a '93 Mk IV and not a CRS admittedly.
   Buy from www.bmtrracing.com and get a competitor discount seemingly unavailable elsewhere.

Kind Regards

CRS9505

• View Profile
TYRES
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2015, 11:37:33 »
Thanks for that - lovely car by the way, but the CRS comes on 16in wheels with 225/50/16 and 255/50/16 rears.

Flyinghorse

• View Profile
TYRES
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2015, 21:37:44 »
The factory tyres were cooper cobras I believe.
   I run Kuhmo excsta's along with a few other CRS owners. (Kumhos seem to be what most 16" rim owners fit (225 & 245-255)). The 255 is no longer available,  and believe one CRS in Aberdeenshire has just fitted Michelin's on his 16" rims but no report as yet to performance/size/price.
   The Kuhmo's are good value.

Graham

CRS9505

• View Profile
TYRES
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2015, 23:13:37 »
Hi Graham,
   I've got the original dated 1997 Avon Z1 tyres, no wear (only 14,000 miles)
   but a bit hard and slippy now. Just priced up a set of Pirelli Pilots at £1300 + fitting/balancing etc at Longstone. Fronts about ok at £239 but rears a whopping £382! It would be good to know how they handle before making the commitment and would rather stay with original wheels.
   Mike

Flyinghorse

• View Profile
TYRES
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2015, 23:33:48 »
The kumho's are good in dry & wet and mine were £95 each for fronts and £120 each for rears. A lot of BMW cars run on them.
   I run a stroked 302 ( to 347) that's reasonably powered, but not in 360 challenge stradale or f430 territory and could keep up with them till I chickened out and my chassis started behaving like a limp banana on the kinlochring last summer.
   Graham

Flyinghorse

• View Profile
TYRES
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2015, 23:36:50 »
Meant to say my car is a CRS on 16" original rims.
   Graham

CRS9505

• View Profile
TYRES
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2015, 00:15:38 »
Is that still with the Mustang injection and all your underfloor boxes or is it now a track car? I think I could easily put my MB CLS 350 diesel auto round any track just as quick if not quicker than the CRS whilst listening to the radio and sipping a Costa!  [:)]

Flyinghorse

• View Profile
TYRES
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2015, 11:39:43 »
With your current tyres my Bristol 400 might be faster.

My CRS does not have the ford injection module/injectors. A legal modification to a CRS is not cheap and would take you mid way between a stock CRS price and a alloy MkiV depending on what you do and who does it. PM me if you want more information.

I have kept the original engine just in case someone come's up with a cheapish way of removing the deliberate strangulation by the module on the standard set up.(there are jumper cards that you can program that attach to them)

I think one of the best mods you could do with the international in mind is go to the Kumhos for the summer and fit the larger and easier to fill fuel tank mod.
   Contact Barrie Bird who has been looking into this mod and up-todate pricing /fitting as performed a few years back by another CRS owner (9522).
   Graham

philliprice

• View Profile
TYRES
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2015, 11:01:15 »
Hi,  I recently changed the factory fitted Cooper Cobras on 9502, which after 11k miles were only worn on rears.  However they were very hard and slippy in damp conditions...I couldn't keep pace with Graham on his Khumos, ignoring his other mods! or Barrie in his CRS on Avons, ignoring his far superior AC driving experience.

I fitted the Michelin Pilot Sports (on original 16" wheels), from Tyres Pneus Online, more or less £400ea.  They are so far, 250 miles in, infinitely better than previous tyres in both wet and dry.

I have little doubt though that the Khumos would also have been a vast improvement over aged tyres.  There was no reason, or at least any sound reference, as to why I chose Michelin over Khumo.  Suffice to say that if my new Michelin's on the rears do not last 10k miles I will probably then switch to the more affordable boots.  Perhaps a blessing of the more relaxed and civilised CRS is that spinning the tyres is a rare occurance, which is quite beneficial to the tyres working life.

Happy motoring,
   Phillip

philliprice

• View Profile
TYRES
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2015, 13:02:30 »
Hi, apologies I might have over-estimated what I paid for Michelin's to fit 16" wheels.  Went back and checked.  Price as per January 2015:

- 255/50 R16 99 Y Pilot Sport, £282.91ea
   - 225/50 R16 92 Y Pilot Sport, £181.79ea

Total £1,115.28 incl. VAT 20%.

£400 a tyre was for the audi.

CRS9505

• View Profile
TYRES
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2015, 15:11:33 »
Thanks Phillip its about the price quoted by Longstones incl club discount.
   Temporarily fitting Khmos, have ordered safety wire and pliers.
   Now looking at 15in wheels and spinners, putting the cats and anti-roll bars back and thinking of a retro engine transplant. (or should that be a brain transplant!)Probably about a £10k investment, is the CRS worth it?
   Whats the general opinion?

CRS9505

• View Profile
TYRES
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2015, 15:32:35 »
And the bad news is no more 15in wheels from Gerry (Hawk) as he is out of stock and out of production.

AC Ventura

• View Profile
TYRES
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2015, 17:33:07 »
Yep, he only had 4 sets left when I bought mine in Feb. red car in pic. Be careful with the Trigos. They are not quite the same fit or look. I'm also doing the reto emgined transplant next although mine is a Mk IV. You won't need cats then. Note for MOT emissions are tested to date of engine manufacture, so be sure to get a remanuf engine with the right date block. I