Author Topic: Radiator fan  (Read 3071 times)

nick Godridge

• View Profile
Radiator fan
« on: May 18, 2015, 13:00:32 »
I have recently replaced my original radiator with an alloy example, and made a serious error in not replacing the fan at the same time. As a result I am now wanting to replace the original 1984 Autocraft fitted item with a modern hi power 'sucker'. Mounting to new fan on the rear of the radiator is relatively simple, but I am v. concerned about getting the old one out.

So, relating to that forthcoming job, my question is;-
   What is involved in removing the std front mounted fan, Bearing in mind that it is mounted well up into the front shroud, and has that air deflector plate also fitted into the front of the shroud, preventing easy access to the fan.

Hope someone can tell me its easy!!

westcott

• View Profile
Radiator fan
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2015, 08:11:25 »
The easiest way is removing/drilling out the bigger rivets keeping the front shroud from below. Then remove the shroud and disassemble the fan downwards.

The shroud is a bit flexible and needs some twisting to be removed and assembled.

Assemble the the front shroud with new rivets and you are done.

Try it, if you find out that you need more room then remove the air splitter to the front of the car. It is kept by 2 bigger Nuts left and right to the front frame and with two self tapping screws directly to the body.
   These two screws have phillips head and can be seen with a small mirror.

Hope that helps.
Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler!

nick Godridge

• View Profile
Radiator fan
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2015, 21:07:03 »
Thx for reply Westcott

AC Ventura

• View Profile
Radiator fan
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2015, 22:42:53 »
i didn't do the fan, but had to remove the grille assembly to change the compressor for the air horns. It's all quite obvious once you start undoing things.. However, removing the chrome splitter can scratch the paint so be ready to touch in. It's also a good opportunity to straighten and respray the grill mesh with satin black aerosol.
    Mine was self tappers not rivets which was easier. The only place it was riveted was wher the mesh went into the splitter. Instead of re riveting which is a bit hit and miss, I use small cable ties to 'sew' the mesh into the splitter. Sounds like a bodge but it's better and invisible,
    Don't be wary - it's simple fiddly and time consuming., like everything on a Mk IV !

westcott

• View Profile
Radiator fan
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2015, 11:18:42 »
Maybe we have some different wording for the parts. With front shroud i mean the front lower GRP part riveted to the frame from below.

The "wing" in front of the radiator i called air splitter.
Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler!