Author Topic: Advice request  (Read 6230 times)

Exowner

• View Profile
Advice request
« on: April 07, 2015, 13:24:47 »
Hi all,
   I've had the Ace since November and due to a broken collar bone, I've only driven it 3 times, but what times they were! I can see why these cars are so well respected. I thought it was going to be similar to the Aceca, but it wasn't. I can't wait to become more familiar with it and to establish its reliability. The Ace or the Aceca for the international?, now there's a nice teaser to ponder.
   Anyway, back to the point of this post. I've a few things I'd like members advice on , They are
   1/ I understand that the g/box can be dropped out without taking the engine out. Is it more hassle than taking the engine and gearbox out as one unit. I've a clearance issue regarding roof and engine hoist, but I do have a pit.
   2/ Lucas distributor points/condenser - Are there any options or does one have to take what one can get. Where's the best place to source them in the UK?
   3/ My rear O/S wheel gently rubs the wheel arch on spirited left-handers. The N/S doesn't do the same on right handers. Is this at all unusual? It's on 16" Michelin.
   Any help gratefully received, Glenn

Exowner

• View Profile
Advice request
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2015, 08:41:33 »
So, 123 reads and nobody has replied?!?!?!? I thought forums were for exchanges of information from people with a similar interests? Now, I'm not bitter but it strikes me as strange that when the our beloved chairman pops a post on this forum it gets answered within the hour. I spent 8 years helping members with questions in my role as Aceca registrar. Some of the questions asked involved a lot of work to answer. What is it - the user name? or have I misunderstood the rules? Do I smell? Do I not send Christmas cards to the right people???? Is there some funny handshake I should learn? COME CHAPS/CHAPESSES, GIVE A BLOKE A HELPING HAND

Rob.Hendriks

• View Profile
Advice request
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2015, 10:24:48 »
3/ put more "spirit" into the right hand

Robin A Woolmer

• View Profile
Advice request
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2015, 10:29:53 »
Glenn
   Would it not be helpful to talk to the Ace Registrar, you need advice from owners of that model of AC, Whilst I am about to build a special the only comment I can offer is in regard to the distributor & in that case you should talk to the 'Distributor Doctor 'who you can find on the web!
   The wheel rubbing issue I am sure has been discussed so maybe some early entries on that or even the AC Action which you might get from the Librarian.
   Why not contact the Chairman rather than comment, he has a great deal of experience of the cars & can probably help point you in the best direction!

Robin

Klassik Metall

• View Profile
Advice request
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2015, 11:22:38 »
Hello Glenn,

You should be able to remove the gearbox from inside the car if you remove the seats and tunnel etc.

I would also recommend speaking to Martin (Distributor Doctor) as he is very helpful and knowledgeable.

With regard to the wheel rubbing issue, I would have a close look at the rear spring for a cracked leaf. It's also possible the spring is not seated centrally on the top of the diff housing.The locating recess for the spring centre bolt can get elongated or damaged by careless fitting.

Regards Luke.

PS. I can't smell anything from here.[:)]

nikbj68

• View Profile
Advice request
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2015, 13:29:34 »
Despite never having received a Christmas Card from you, here`s my reply!

Is there evidence that the rubbing is a new issue(i.e was it not all square leaving Thames Ditton... not beyond the realms of possibility!)?
   Are you just not trying hard enough in right-handers? [;)]

With the car on the level, run a straight-edge up the face of each wheel, and check tyre to arch clearance & heights, how similar are the gaps? As Luke said, could be a cracked or not central spring, but it could also be sagging, and need re-tempering.
   Beyond that, you start considering accident damage or bent/corroded chassis tubes etc... let`s hope it`s not a sign of something you were unaware of...OR thank goodness you spotted it before something let go whilst you are paint stripping on left hand bends!

Oh, if you can`t choose between Ace & Aceca for the International, I`m available for convoy delivery services... very reasonable rates! [;)]

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
Advice request
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2015, 17:06:55 »
   Dick
   This subject has been discussed numerous times in ACtion and on the Forum, Therefore most members have assumed you already knew,[?]

Regards rubbing of tyres on the rear wings,  This is a common trait and is rectified by checking the rear spring is correctly located and the suspension geometry is correct. also Check camber.
   It is common knowledge that many Aces left Thames Ditton incorrectly set up, With rear axle not even centrally located. plus as each body is hand built no two bodies are the same let alone symmetrical.

Another cause for rubbing and burning off paint is oversize tyres eg 185 by 16 inch.
   You can relieve the rear lip of the wing with careful dressing, without further damage.
   Hopefully the above resolves your problem/s and you get many years of happy  AC motoring.  Use it and Enjoy !

Keith..

SBB

• View Profile
Advice request
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2015, 21:53:45 »
The solution can be to fit an Aceca rear spring. It is stiffer and gives extra ride height. The Ace spring can lose its tension and the tyres disappear up in the rear arches with the associated rubbing. The original rear spring on my Ace had sagged so much it was hitting and bending the boot floor!u

shep

• View Profile
Advice request
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2015, 01:39:08 »
Oh dear Glenn,

Your post was discussed in detail at the Elstead Mill this lunchtime! Sorry if the flow of information was rather slow to start, but sometimes I just skip through and other times I have time to spare and can contribute more fully. Regarding your queries, I didn't have much to say because,
   1, I have never taken out an Ace gearbox without removing the engine as well, so can't really comment. Mine is an Ace Bristol which is probably different anyway. There are lots of hands-on members who I would speak to, starting with the registrar.
   2, I run Lucas distributor and points, but with an external condenser which appears to work well. I bought a couple of these condensers from a chap at Silverstone a few years back and would have to search through a mountain of paperwork to find a name and address.
   3, The position and tension of the spring is vital. I would first check the camber and if possible the corner weights to see if it is sitting correctly. If that is all OK, then it must be body work or the wheels and tyres. I have a wheel with a slightly different offset which was just OK on one side but not the other. It is easy to swap the wheels over and see if the problem follows the wheel.

Thinking about funny things, we had an Ace come into the workshop once with a peculiar steering problem. Driving forward it wanted to dart to the right or left and didn't want to track straight. The camber and toe in was OK and all the components had worked fine previously, so we really scratched our heads. We then noticed it was 100% better going backwards, and it started to dawn on us that for come reason the caster was the wrong way round. It turned out that the owner had re-assembled his suspension with the left upright on the right side and vice versa. We swapped them over and bingo, it was perfect. Sometimes you need several cups of tea and a long think to work out what is actually going on.
   Good luck with your project, and we must try harder in future to be helpful.
   All the best, Andy.

PS Wasn't today fabulous! I went to the ACOC lunch at Elstead.in my Mk IV. We had a great turnout with a CRS, a Greyhound, an Ace Bristol, my Mk IV and Tony's beautiful Osca. On the way there and back about half the cars on the road seemed to be classics taking advantage of the early Spring sunshine. It felt great to be alive!

bobbylangley

• View Profile
Advice request
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2015, 09:57:03 »
Mike Harrison had his Aceca there as well Andy. And I wore a shirt with pictures of Cobras on it (nearest I can get...)

Exowner

• View Profile
Advice request
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2015, 11:11:24 »
Gentlemen and Terry who contacted me by email
   Many, many thanks for the helpful advice.
   Distributor all sorted via the Distibutor Doctor. I now know that there are 2 options for removing the gearbox, with or without the engine attached. Lastly, I'm still investigating the wheel rubbing situation and will post anthing that I think is of interest.
   Sorry about the rant.
   Glenn

nikbj68

• View Profile
Advice request
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2015, 11:17:37 »
...Aaah, but we`ll miss Ol' Dickscratcher around these parts!

Exowner

• View Profile
Advice request
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2015, 13:23:46 »
Nik, There's this new cream I got from the doctor..........

psjsam

• View Profile
Advice request
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2015, 07:30:12 »
Hello Glenn
   I'm afraid I'm not a regular reader of the Forum, hence the tardy reply. Some years ago I fitted 185x16 Kleber tyres to my Ace having seen another Ace racing on them. Mine rubbed the wheel arches. When Michelin started to produce 5.50x16 X's again I bought a set from Longstone Tyres. I seem to recall they told me that they had a slightly larger profile than the originals being the nearest metric equivalent to the originals. These still just touched the wheel arches. My solution was to replace the two longest leaves of the rear spring with slightly shorter ones - obtained from David Sanderson. This alters the camber enough to clear the wheel arches and, I'm advised, has the benefit of improving handling. I'm not a racer so I can't really comment on this. The appearance is fine. I don't think an Ace looks right with an Aceca rear spring.
   I have removed my Aceca-Bristol's box without removing the engine, by following the instructions on page 32 of the "General Instructions" manual. I have neither a hoist nor a pit. It wasn't a fun job, but it's probably rather easier with an Ace since you don't have the constraint of the roof. My wife supported the gearbox from above while I worked underneath to slide out the box and rotate and lift it. I made a rope sling and provided padding for her to kneel on. I do spoil her! If you would like any more information about this job, please let me know.
   Regards
   Phil
Phil Jones

nikbj68

• View Profile
Advice request
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2015, 10:23:01 »
Aha, the support of a good woman should never be overlooked!