Author Topic: Correct Color AC green metallic  (Read 5738 times)

AEX166

• View Profile
Correct Color AC green metallic
« on: November 13, 2014, 15:07:40 »
Where can help.
   what was the correct color code for mist green metallic AC Aceca?
   is the almond green of Aston Martin one other similar color?
   Thanks for your helps

B.P.Bird

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2014, 17:30:26 »
Stefano, 'A.C. Racing Green' - the colour was from Valentines -'Jewelessence Mist Green' in nitro cellulose 'Spraygloss.' Valentines and their successor companies are all gone so the original formulation numbers are not much help. However an A.C.O.C. member put a lot of work into getting a modern water based formulation made which is a perfect replica of the original. I think Bill Shepherd was the most recent user. The colour is rather different from the green which Aston Martin used. If you care to email me I will forward your request.

B.P.Bird

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2014, 11:25:08 »
And here is a lovely pic of AEX560, the Aceca in question, hopefully going back to the original mist green shortly. Seeing this weather makes one wish for the Northern Hemisphere spring asap......

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2015, 03:32:07 »
quote:
Originally posted by B.P.Bird

Stefano, 'A.C. Racing Green' - the colour was from Valentines -'Jewelessence Mist Green' in nitro cellulose 'Spraygloss.' Valentines and their successor companies are all gone so the original formulation numbers are not much help. However an A.C.O.C. member put a lot of work into getting a modern water based formulation made which is a perfect replica of the original. I think Bill Shepherd was the most recent user. The colour is rather different from the green which Aston Martin used. If you care to email me I will forward your request.

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2015, 03:33:20 »
quote:
Originally posted by B.P.Bird

And here is a lovely pic of AEX560, the Aceca in question, hopefully going back to the original mist green shortly. Seeing this weather makes one wish for the Northern Hemisphere spring asap......

nikbj68

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2015, 14:00:10 »
Hi George, welcome to the forum and thanks for reposting these, but did you have something else  to ask or say?

There is a green Aceca for sale at Hexagon Classics that according to their blurb was one of only 6 to leave the factory in Jewelessence Mist Green, and was the last Aceca produced!
   Never heard that "..The front-end styling of the Ace and Aceca reportedly traces back to a design suggested by PininFarina for AC in the late 1940s.." I thought Alan Turner took John Tojeiro`s design but had to raise the lights to comply with regulations!

Gorgeous!

shep

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2015, 18:30:13 »
Absolutely stunning and my favourite colour! I'm not sure its name translates so well into German though!

ACOCArch

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2015, 18:47:46 »
Originally posted by nikbj68
   There is a green Aceca for sale at Hexagon Classics /quote]

Lovely looking car!

From the Factory Ledger, AE822 is indeed the last chassis number in the AC/Bristol engined Aceca series. However:

a - At least three cars in this series left the factory after AE822;
   b - A83, the prototype wide-track Aceca, is recorded after AE822 in the Ledger, although A83 was almost certainly completed well before AE822;
   c - The Ford 2.6 engined Acecas are recorded in a separate series. Of these, four left the factory after AE822.
   d - A quick count shows twelve Acecas originally painted Mist Green.
   e - There is no way the rear suspension of a standard production AC Aceca remotely follows De Dion principles (see Hexagon advert). Is there something radically different about AE822 in this respect?

The styling reference is a new one to me. Although I have not seen a definitive statement, people who were in the factory at that time attributed the final Ace styling to Alan Turner, with the Aceca a natural development.

The Ace, in both chassis and styling,  was in turn developed from the Trojeiro-Lea Francis, bought by AC Cars from Vin Davison in 1953. The raised headlights in the production Ace and Aceca may well have been necessary to meet the legal minimum height (from memory 2 feet 2 inches at the centre of the light?)

There has been comment that the styling of the Tojeiro resembles the period Ferrari Barchetta, and both the Tojeiro and the Ace show similarities to the Ferrari in this respect. Again, I have not seen a definitive statement to confirm that the Ferrari influenced the Tojeiro or the Ace, and would be surprised to do so. If nothing else, the laws of design ownership and Design Registration would probably preclude such a formal admission.

BE774

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2015, 19:33:14 »
Was there not a photo in an ACtion, probably early/middle 1980s, showing a Ferrari Barchetta, a Tojeiro and an Ace in a line for comparison? If my ACtions were not packed up I would look it out - perhaps someone else can?
Barbara

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2015, 18:51:31 »
   Great picture of The Styling similarities with the Ferrari 166 Barchetta, the Prototype AC Ace and the Production AC Ace on page 15 (chapter 3 )of
    Toj... John Tojeiro and His Cars .  book Published 2005 ISBN No 0-9549167-1-9.

Thank you to John Baker for organising the line up and photo session of these three cars.

The evolution is self evident.... One day hopefully someone brings these three  cars together again to produce a photographic and written appraisal....

John / (James?) Baker & Trevor Legate joint venture   ..[?]..[?]..[;)]

just a idea.. [:p]..[^]..

Keith  

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2015, 11:38:32 »

BE774.  Someone's got a good  memory [;)]. A quick check of mid 1980's ACtion magazines....

A picture of the Ferrari Barchetta 166 (195?), LOY500 and a 1957 Ace Bristol appeared on the front cover of ACtion Vol 9 No5,
   with a further three pictures published in ACtion Vol9 No6 Page 6.

The three cars were in 1985 currently owned by:-
   John Baker, Frank Sytner and  Rye Heuff respectively.

Not being too familiar with early Ferrari, what is the difference between a Ferrari 166 and a Ferrari 195 [?]
   ( No Trevor, No clever/ witty answers like... 29 [;)])

Keith..

bex316

• View Profile
    • BEX316
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2015, 12:24:00 »
From the start the numbering of Ferrari's for many years has been the cubic capacity  per cylinder, not only for 12 cylinders but also for 4 cylinders (like the 2 litre 500 Mondial and 3 litre 750 Monza). The most famous being the 3 lire 250 series in many guises.
   The first Ferrari was the 125 equating approx. 1.5 litre V12, the 166 being the 2 litre that came next and then the 195 equating just over 2.3 litre and the 212 equating between 2.5 and 2.6 litre.
   Of course there are several more differences and guises with open or closed bodywork by different coachbuilders.

Jerry

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2015, 02:08:16 »
   Jerry.

Many thanks for explaining ,  even I can follow the Enzo logic.[:)]

Keith..

TLegate

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2015, 13:06:37 »
I would never say a word....

For those lucky owners of my Cobra (sorry) book paying homage to the first 40 Years and all that, you'll find a snap of LOY500 alongside a Ferrari barchetta in the holding paddock in downtown Goodwood on page 23. It was just chance - Nick Wigley in the Toj waved to me and told me to grab the opportunity quick as he was about to depart :) I'll try to upload something but that was shot on proper film and not digitally recorded with nasty little pixels....anyhoo, it's shows the styling 'coincidence'.