Author Topic: Mk11 continuation for sale  (Read 4289 times)

nick Godridge

• View Profile
Mk11 continuation for sale
« on: March 27, 2015, 09:26:00 »
AC/Autokraft built 1995, 1,500miles, V5 states 1962 (!!!!!)

For sale by Tom Hartley for 235k pounds.

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/ac/289/ac-cobra-289-mk11-continuation/3796186

The market will decide what it's worth I suppose, but, it really does my head in that DVLC allow cars built recently to be registered with a 1960's date.

Nick ( confused ) G

Cobra Ned

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2015, 16:47:34 »
A "declared manufacture date of 1963" makes no sense whatsoever in this case.

TLegate

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2015, 16:32:35 »
I am sure some kind person will post a comment regarding the current situation with these vehicles but for now - buyer beware (do the homework!!!)

The ridiculous asking price is another matter

Rob.Hendriks

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2015, 03:15:38 »
Sold for 141.5K pounds at Bonhams Sept 2012
   https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/20145/lot/135/

BBK

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2015, 06:36:36 »
In California, there is law that was passed that allows registration of "special manufacture" cars to avoid having to go through the draconian smog testing requirements. It is called "SB 100".  There is a limit on the number of cars that can be registered each year via this process. So for instance, if you have a brand new Superformance, Factory Five, or Kirkham Cobra, you can get the car registered for use on California roads via the SB 100 process, and register the car, more or less, as whatever year you want.  As most U.S. Cobra replica cars look like 427 S/C Cobras, they are registered in California as 1965 year of production, though they are brand new cars.  So, this continuation 289 Cobra built by AC Cars in 1995 is not a dissimilar situation in respect to the year of manufacture on its registration. I guess as long as there is full disclosure to a buyer as to what they are actually buying, which can also be surmised by the price (obviously much lower than the "real deal" car), then no harm done as long as it is all on the up and up.

Cobra Ned

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2015, 06:43:24 »
I had always understood the SB100 provision in CA to be for cars that could NOT claim a 1960's build date, hence there was no smog exemption based on year of manufacture. But the cars that are clearly of a more recent build, that need the SB100 to avoid smog testing, can claim to be a 1960's car once they have been through the SB100 process?

BBK

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2015, 17:15:12 »
quote:
Originally posted by Cobra Ned

I had always understood the SB100 provision in CA to be for cars that could NOT claim a 1960's build date, hence there was no smog exemption based on year of manufacture. But the cars that are clearly of a more recent build, that need the SB100 to avoid smog testing, can claim to be a 1960's car once they have been through the SB100 process?

I believe the guys in my Cobra club all have their replica Cobras registered under SB 100 and they are registered as 1960's cars ("1965 Cobra" for instance). I believe the registration is based on the year of the motor, so if you have a 1960's block and let's say the engine is rebuilt using a 1960's motor, you can register the car based on that year. I have not done the SB 100 process myself, but believe this is how it works.  The guys in my club suggested to me that I use SB 100 to register my AC Mk. IV so I can get out of having to smog my car every two years in order to register it without the hassle of taking the car into a smog station. However, I did not want to do this as it would take something away from the car I own. I certainly would not want to register my car as a 1960's Cobra, which it is not. It is a 1987 AC Mk. IV and that is how I want the registration to read, so I will dutifully go every two years to the smog station, catalytic converters and all, and get my Cobra smogged and registered......[V].  A pain in the rear but worth it to keep my Cobra as it should be.