Author Topic: Number Plate Light  (Read 4743 times)

B.P.Bird

• View Profile
Number Plate Light
« on: March 27, 2015, 14:10:43 »
I am trying to identify this number plate light on the pretty rump of LM5000 at le Mans in 1958. I think it is possiblyone of those overnight parking lights we used to see in the U.K. in the days when 'old bangers' soldiered on, long into their old age, untroubled by MoT Tests. If I am guessing right one half of the hemisphere lens will be red and the other clear and when used, as intended, for parking would have been mounted on the offside with the red part facing rearwards. Used on LM5000 the red part would face upward leaving the clear part illuminating the registration mark. Blowing the picture up you can see where some of the clear glass has been painted out so as not to shew a white light to the rear. Then again it could be an all clear glass interior or under bonnet light or boot light ? Did the Invalide Car have an interior light ? Anyway despite looking around I have seen nothing like this - any ideas anyone ?

alexG

• View Profile
Number Plate Light
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2015, 20:49:05 »
Barry, you may know of these people.....they offer a very wide range of quality old car lighting, inc kits for Ace and Cobra. Whilst I cannot see the light unit you are referring to they are very knowledgeable and might be able to point you in the right direction!
   http://www.s-v-c.co.uk/category/lights/

rsk289

• View Profile
Number Plate Light
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2015, 13:32:42 »
Wierd one that, Barry.  I'm not familiar with that style at all so I don't think it's a manufacturer's offering, as you say.  Most likely some aftermarket parking lamp.

The nearest I can find is this:
   http://www.holden.co.uk/displayproduct.asp?sg=1&pgCode=010&sgName=Electrical&pgName=Lighting&agCode=0060&agName=Numberplate%2FRear%2FRev+Lamps&pCode=010.456

Sort of close-ish, but definitely no Havana to be awarded.

I'll keep my eyes peeled as I trawl the rare parts corners of the 'net (but don't put 'rare parts' into a search engine...)
   Roger

BE774

• View Profile
Number Plate Light
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2015, 17:24:41 »
Barry,

Could this be a dashboard-mounted interior light from a (probably) pre-war car? Graham.
Barbara

Robin A Woolmer

• View Profile
Number Plate Light
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2015, 20:18:28 »
The nearest is probably Lucas L534 as fitted to MGb's  but this has two screw fixing!

Robin

AEX 31

• View Profile
Number Plate Light
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2015, 09:05:37 »
Barry,

Not a 100% sure but couldn't it be a Marchal sidelamp?

Maybe unlikely that AC would source something from a French supplier at the time,
   but I do think some other English manufacturers at the time did use some Marchal
   products.

Anyway look at this link,

http://www.gtoengineering.com/products/marchal-side-lamp-red-white-et02360u

or this one maybe?

http://reoriginals.com/browseproducts/Roof-light--NOS--Siem--for-250-GT-PF-Coupe--red-clear...---L0257.HTML

There is some resemblance, no?

Jonas

B.P.Bird

• View Profile
Number Plate Light
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2015, 22:37:48 »
Gentlemen many thanks for these suggestions and to Graham Stuart via email: As suggested I believe there may be a possibility that the light was fitted 'last minute' in France, although A.C. were hardly inexperienced regarding the lighting requirements for road cars and LM5000 was driven out to le Mans, I wonder who got that job ? In any event all the lights offered have a requirement for a large mounting hole, yet the hole in the bodywork is only 3/8" and the present light, which has always been in place since 1965, has a spigot which fits this. So could a panel have been replaced and the original lamp replaced due to damage ? Seems unlikely as the original le Mans reflective patch, close by, is untouched.
   This was not a one off light made by hand so sooner or later a twin will appear.....