Author Topic: What happens when a lower wishbone fails...  (Read 7331 times)

Edward_C

• View Profile
What happens when a lower wishbone fails...
« on: March 15, 2015, 17:44:49 »

hawk289

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2015, 17:51:37 »
Ed, good seeing you today, wish you all the best getting the car done. I hope the parts help, all Ac Ace Brooklands members I strongly recommend you check your front and rear lower wishbones. On my cars I have taken off the wishbones and taken back to metal welding plates onto them around the join to protect from cracking. Costs only a few pounds and will give you some safety. Remember the cars are over 20 years old now. If you need advise just shout. John

Max Allan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2015, 23:57:44 »
Whereabouts did the wishbone fail?

hawk289

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2015, 10:35:25 »
Max, will let Ed explain the actual break. The lower wishbone is wide and gets the most punishment due to also being the location for the shock's, etc. I went over to my fabricator friend who is going to make up new re-enforced suspension arms, I already use the same ones on my Ace's / Aceca's. Also plate in the suspension arm for more strength. If they go (only second one I know about) then it is at the front which carry's the hub. When I took my old one off, found just painted which cracks off, leaving metal to the eliminates. Will be making up 10 sets of rear and front wishbones, not sure the price. Thanks John

Max Allan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2015, 13:14:13 »
Thanks for the heads up John. Not unduly surprised there's a weakness - cars the weight of Aces usually have forged wishbones.
   I moved the shock. mounting lugs on my front and rear wishbones closer to the hubs so am wondering if I've made situation better or worse. I suspect wishbone snapped around the area where the bracing cross tube is welded to the two radial tubes. Hopefully Ed will shed more light on what happened.

Edward_C

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2015, 11:50:13 »
If you give me a couple of days I will photograph the broken wishbone so you can see the weak point.

Edward_C

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2015, 18:34:20 »

Max Allan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2015, 19:39:47 »
Sorry for slow response Ed but been in Philippines. It looks bit of a mess -clearly some kind of reinforcement is required. Mine doesn't even have the sheet bracing at outer fulcrums.

paho

• View Profile
Re: What happens when a lower wishbone fails...
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2018, 10:38:36 »
Hi,
does anyone know what happened to the 10 sets of wishbones John intended to have fabricated?
/paho
« Last Edit: May 07, 2018, 13:23:21 by paho »
"Blessed are those that don't ask for they shall not receive"