Author Topic: Is this an original Cobra for sale in France?  (Read 8116 times)

SunDude

• View Profile
Is this an original Cobra for sale in France?
« on: March 11, 2015, 12:13:49 »
Does anyone know the chassis number for this 289 Cobra which is currently offered for sale through Art & Supercars in Roubaix, France?

I've corresponded with the shop, but they're not forthcoming with the information.  I wonder if it might not be a replica from AC Heritage or Kirkham/Hawk instead of an original.

The car currently wears the registration plate AY-634-WA.

Thanks.

YouTube video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yVMHXk4c_c

Website: http://www.artandsupercars.com/produit/ac-cobra-289/

SunDude

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2015, 12:24:28 »
The car is also listed on the Classic Driver for sale through DPM Motors in Monaco: http://www.classicdriver.com/en/car/ac/cobra/1965/290251

TLegate

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2015, 21:33:12 »
Short answer - no.

427 hood scoop, wrong speedo/rev counter bezels.....plus an unhelpful dealer?? What does he have to hide?

SunDude

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2015, 11:21:37 »
The seller tells me that he has a buyer for the car at around a million Euros.

I sure hope the buyer, if there really is one, did his homework on this car.

The seller keeps insisting it's original, but won't disclose the serial number.

rstainer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2015, 11:40:05 »
Brian,

The vendor states it to be CSX2221. As this is a 63 car, its '65' description is somewhat wide of the mark. I'll hopefully get chapter and verse on it later today.

RS

SunDude

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2015, 12:32:52 »
Thanks Robin, I'll look it up in the registry when I get home from work.

Brian

quote:
Originally posted by rstainer

Brian,

The vendor states it to be CSX2221. As this is a 63 car, its '65' description is somewhat wide of the mark. I'll hopefully get chapter and verse on it later today.

RS

nikbj68

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2015, 13:21:14 »
A quick spot of Googling turned this up:

GT Dreams @ Retromobile

And this:

Team C2C(Ludovic Caron) Translated HERE

rstainer

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2015, 18:02:01 »
There are unanswered questions concerning this car: a buyer seeking an original should ensure that it has continuous history as a vehicle since original manufacture.

I will update the register following further inquiries.

RS

TLegate

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2015, 20:14:19 »
So where did the hood/bonnet scoop go? Considering (the real) 2221 had one fitted back in the day for SCCA racing, I can only assume it comes with a brace of bonnets/hoods.

SunDude

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2015, 23:36:36 »
According to the registry, CSX2221 was being restored in California circa 2007.  No mention of it ever being in Europe.  But some time has passed since the book was published.

I look forward to your update, Robin.

UPDATE: Sorry Nick, but I hadn't read the link you posted where it said that Ludovic Caron bought 2221 and completed its restoration.  At least that's what the linked webpage claims...

Cobra Ned

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2015, 05:14:45 »
I have been communicating with a fellow from Genolier, Switzerland for a few years who says he acquired 2221 from Caron after the car was displayed at the 2010 Retromobile show in Paris. Photos he sent were similar to those above, i.e. the car was in raw aluminum and was clearly freshly worked on (or assembled). Mr. Caron is reported to have bought this car from the Los Angeles-based individual who purchased it circa '66, however there may be some holes in the story, as this individual supposedly sold the Cobras he had owned many years earlier. It remains to be seen what the back-story to this car is, but currently there are clearly incorrect bits that give it the feel of a newly-assembled car. I'd like to see the chassis plate and ascertain it is the original piece - at least that would be a starting point.

Cobra Ned

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2015, 05:38:42 »
Had a long talk with the American former owner of 2221 today. He bought it 3/66 and damaged it at Willow Springs race course in CA in 8/66. He sold the damaged skin with a good rear clip to a friend who was rebuilding another car, and put the car into storage for many years. He finally pulled it out around 2005 and had Mike McCluskey assist with getting the chassis back in order. The car was then sent to Cobra Automotive in Connecticut, where they installed an alloy body from a relatively new COX car from England. They sold the car to Ludovic Caron, who had also purchased 2127 through them in 2004. Today, it  remains essentially as Cobra Automotive rebuilt it, with some replacement parts added along the way.

SunDude

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2015, 12:40:23 »
Thanks for the extra info, Ned.  So I guess it is the real, reconstructed CSX2221 then.

Cobra Ned

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2015, 17:19:08 »
That's how it appears. I wonder what happened to the car's original gauges?

Cobra Ned

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2015, 17:04:10 »
More information from different sources suggests this may be a COX continuation car built by AC in the 90's or even later and claiming the CSX 2221 VIN. If anyone is considering a purchase, proceed with caution.