Author Topic: Bristol radiator hoses  (Read 4814 times)

Klassik Metall

• View Profile
Bristol radiator hoses
« on: January 09, 2015, 20:02:01 »
Can anyone suggest a source of the original type corrugated radiator hoses for an Ace Bristol? I've tried the usual suspects such as Brian Eacott but so far no joy. The main problem appears to be the sizes, the top hose is 38mm ID and the lower hose is 42mm ID. Any suggestions will be much appreciated.

Luke

KenG

• View Profile
Bristol radiator hoses
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2015, 21:17:53 »
I seemed to be able to buy one that worked in the US years ago.

Robin A Woolmer

• View Profile
Bristol radiator hoses
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2015, 21:30:43 »
Try ' www.veyance.com ' they supply Goodyear Ribbed hoses

Robin

B.P.Bird

• View Profile
Bristol radiator hoses
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2015, 15:24:39 »
Luke,
   Correct hose is 'Tubano' and it is available here http://www.kramp.com/shop-gb/en/611019/501451/0/Radiator+hose+flexible+Tubano

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
Bristol radiator hoses
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2015, 15:55:24 »
   Barrie.

Thank you for the link..[;)]

Not being lazy, Simply don't want to disturb my hoses on BEX333, Can you please confirm that Turbano... Opppps....  Tubano  hoses of
   37mmID and 44mmID by 1000mm... ACtually fit?....   ...  What is the correct length of each hose.[?]

If all correct, Great..[:)] However if not, are correct sizes available from same source..[?]  Willing to discuss at next Council meeting
   and possibly get a batch made for club members,[;)]
   But must know correct dimensions for Ace/Aceca  and Greyhound..
   Can you or someone please confirm..[?]

Thank you.....

Keith..[:)]

B.P.Bird

• View Profile
Bristol radiator hoses
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2015, 18:08:36 »
Keith,
   Here is a picture of an old Thames Ditton hose.

The maker is 'Tubano' not as you spelt it, although your rendering is more sexy. The part number on this old hose is 'TR 37' which I suppose might indicate 37 mm. However the size is also shewn thus: 1 3/8 - 1 5/8. The Thames Ditton elbow, still in situ, has an O.D. of 1 5/8" - I cannot give you a definite answer to your question as my application is LM5000 which has a different radiator to an Ace Bristol, however the 'Tubano' in 37 mm (slightly more than 1 3/8" and slightly less than 1 5/8") fits the spigots on the Bristol water pump. This is not in accordance with Luke's post, but the bottom hose does include an elbow and I am not sure that the radiator to elbow section was 'Tubano' but may have been a short straight section, with the 'Tubano' joining the elbow to the water pump inlet spigot. This might account for an increase in hose diameter part way along the bottom hose.
   So far as length goes it was just cut to fit, you can clamp the convoluted section just as well as the short plain ends on the 1 metre lengths. As it is expensive stuff I suppose the real question is, "Can you get one car done out of one length ?"
   For what it's worth I did LM5000 using only a one metre length and if anything the radiator is further from the engine than is the case on an Ace Bristol.
   And here is a lovely old pic that has nothing whatsoever to do with the thread (sorry Robin) but it is snowing outside here and it brings me a smile.....

Klassik Metall

• View Profile
Bristol radiator hoses
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2015, 18:48:55 »
Thanks all for the info and links. I was wondering if the original hose was actually Tubano as I can source this locally. However the Goodyear hoses listed in Robin's link look far better, as they have plain ends and are available in finished lengths.

As for the sizes, I measured the radiator in/outlets as these provided the largest diameters which the hoses have to fit. I'm sure that the rad is original as it still bears the AC Cars stamp.

One again thanks for your help.

Luke.

B.P.Bird

• View Profile
Bristol radiator hoses
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2015, 21:06:47 »
Luke,
   If you are going non original I believe the best hose may be 'Rony Flex' (essential on Cobra and 3000ME) and I have never seen it fail, but nothing looks anything like 'Tubano' or is as flexible. So far as diameter is concerned somehow the water pump spigots have to be joined to the radiator which rather constrains ones choice. Lots of suppliers of 'Rony Flex' hose e.g. http://www.thehosemaster.co.uk/rony-flex-flexible-cuffed-radiator-hose

Klassik Metall

• View Profile
Bristol radiator hoses
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2015, 21:27:57 »
Thanks for that Barrie. I'm currently favouring using either Goodyear or Rony-flex for the more visible top hose and Tubano for the more tortuously routed bottom hose. There is also the need for a heater take of on the bottom hose on this car and I've found the following link for a Bristol ''T" piece that looks useful. [url][/urlhttp://www.classicsiliconehoses.com/special-hoses/

B.P.Bird

• View Profile
Bristol radiator hoses
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2015, 22:30:22 »
Luke,
   Yes that looks nice. They actually put the demountable 'T' piece in to the 'Tubano' bottom hose originally. Then again heaters are for wimps. I would be inclined to use the 'Tubano' top and bottom, as in period, given that it works as well as any modern hose, especially as one is only dealing with 4 psi. We are very fortunate that it is still in production.