Author Topic: Halibrand for sale  (Read 5378 times)

B.P.Bird

• View Profile
Halibrand for sale
« on: November 30, 2014, 18:40:34 »

shep

• View Profile
Halibrand for sale
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2014, 14:22:22 »
Looks like Steve is having a Black Friday sale? He has a few bits and bobs for sale. I wonder where the Magnesium Halibrand to that pattern came from and if the rest of the set is somewhere.

nikbj68

• View Profile
Halibrand for sale
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2014, 15:58:48 »
He`s selling a pair, but on his facebook page describes them as 'for display only'!

SJ351

• View Profile
Halibrand for sale
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2014, 21:30:21 »
I visited him a couple of weeks ago and bought some rare spares. No Black Friday sale there unfortunately.
   I did see a container filled with an original Shelby Cobra I am familiar with and a lot of very rare parts bound for the States. The doors were quickly closed to protect the client's privacy but I know the car anyway. It's not really cricket to nose around Steve's place too much inspecting cars and chassis numbers - as he has had to remind me only too often!

shep

• View Profile
Halibrand for sale
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2014, 23:20:07 »
Rare Spares!!! Pick up the phone to Gerry and the world is your oyster. I didn't think anything was all that difficult to find for a Cobra these days. Re the mag Halibrands, they may well have corroded as Magnesium has a fairly short life once it starts to oxidise. It looks too sharp to me for a 1960's casting, but it may look different in the metal.

SJ351

• View Profile
Halibrand for sale
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2014, 22:35:55 »
Kirkham will supply you with a brand new car too. We are talking original Thames Ditton and Shelby parts here, not remanufactured parts.
   Whilst the latter are sometimes superior with modern materials, the old original parts maintain the integrity of the car more I feel.
   As for the cost.....

rsk289

• View Profile
Halibrand for sale
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2014, 08:12:14 »
There are a lot of parts that are difficult to find, if you don't want to go the Kirkham billet route.  Think seat runners, transmission, lower hose casting, correct Smiths instruments, screen washer jets, correct 5-bolt 289 parts, heater...

shep

• View Profile
Halibrand for sale
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2014, 12:51:00 »
Point taken about originality. Silly question Roger, did you grow up in Surrey?

rsk289

• View Profile
Halibrand for sale
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2014, 12:56:06 »
Sunny Cambridgeshire, for the last 60 years.  Different Roger King?

shep

• View Profile
Halibrand for sale
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2014, 14:54:11 »
Thanks Roger. The chronology would be about right, but alas the geography less so. Names are funny. After 40 years of my motor racing career, another Andy Shepherd has appeared on the scene. He has been driving a Lotus 7, and on a couple of occasions we have actually been in the same race! How is that for coincidence? There is also a jazz saxophonist called Andy Sheppard who is very good, but I am unlikely to be on his bill! We must all have our doppelgangers. Best regards, Andy.

nikbj68

• View Profile
Halibrand for sale
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2014, 17:20:50 »
I don`t think ANYONE who has seen the other Mr. Shepherd racing would confuse him with you, Sir...
   I`m not a religious man, but I do believe there`s a "Good Shepherd", and the other one.
   (Gone to listen to Andy Sheppard`s "Optics", 9 minutes of joy!)
   (And yes, I have my doppelgangers too!!!)