Author Topic: Aceca. How many keys?  (Read 4165 times)

ivs

• View Profile
Aceca. How many keys?
« on: November 25, 2014, 22:53:29 »
I have four although I suspect I have too many. Door/tailgate/contact/glove box. My question is should contact/door/tailgate be the same? Glovebox?
   Any help appreciated.

Aceca289

• View Profile
Aceca. How many keys?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2014, 07:28:06 »
Ignacio,
   All the locks on my Aceca (AEX521) are all keyed the same. My ignition key has FA 501 written on the face of the lock. I had the rear hatch lock apart the other day and recall that the the back side was marked 501 as well.

I hope this helps.

John

PPJ834

• View Profile
Aceca. How many keys?
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2014, 19:24:05 »
My 1951 2litre saloon also has FA 501....

ivs

• View Profile
Aceca. How many keys?
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2014, 01:47:37 »
Now, this is getting interesting. One of the several keys that do not work but the only one that goes into the door lock is an original wilmot breeden. Smart ACECA owners will have figured by now. FA501! My ACECA is AEX534. Close enough for the factory to use same locks on a batch of similar I guess. So now the chase for a tailgate/contact/glove box locks shall begin.

jrlucke

• View Profile
Aceca. How many keys?
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2014, 02:09:56 »
Have you checked with a locksmith to see if they can change the tumblers on the doors, boot and glove box to match the ignition?

For house locks I at one time purchased a kit of tumbler pins which allowed me to match locks to a single key.

WHen having to change the door lock on my BMW 320, I was told it was possible to re-key the lock for a cost.

John

Aceca289

• View Profile
Aceca. How many keys?
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2014, 06:33:41 »
Ignacio,

Is the key that fits into your door (but won't open it) heavily worn? My original Wilmot Breeden key marked...you guessed it...FA 501 is so worn it sometimes doesn't work on the door and the rear hatch without a lot of fussing around. In fact, I cant get it to open the rear hatch at all any more. Luckily my father made a duplicate back in the late 60's which operates the door and rear hatch with no problem.

This begs the question to everyone: Where do I go to find blanks for the original Wilmont Breeden keys?

John

Klassik Metall

• View Profile
Aceca. How many keys?
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2014, 07:31:42 »
Lots of sellers for these keys on UK Ebay.

Regards Luke.

Klassik Metall

• View Profile
Aceca. How many keys?
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2014, 07:35:50 »
They're also available in the US here.[url][/urlhttp://britishcarkeys.com/index.html

rsk289

• View Profile
Aceca. How many keys?
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2014, 08:09:01 »
It's pretty easy to dismantle the lock and tumblers and fiddle, file etc. until it works with your key.  They're not exactly hi-tech!

There's a chap on ebay called 'Wilmot-man' or something like that, first name Peter, who's excellent and very helpful.

ivs

• View Profile
Aceca. How many keys?
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2014, 15:11:59 »
Pete Groh at Britishcarkeys.com can code cut new FA keys. I have also bought a new key in UK to check on the door lock. I will also dismantle the lock to see on the barrel if it is stamped 501. My real problem is that looks like the tumblers have been substituted with "newer" FS series. That means that used FA locks need to be found and keyed for the FA501, Now, does anybody have any lock that is not in use and willing to sell?
   Doesn't matter if tailgate, door, ignition or glove box. I suspect that they all have the same barrels and if not I'll report.
   Ignacio