Author Topic: COB 6120 for sale through Hexagon  (Read 4932 times)

nikbj68

• View Profile
COB 6120 for sale through Hexagon
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2014, 00:43:05 »
Nice, but it`s no 6111! [;)]

Cobra Ned

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2014, 05:55:51 »
Um, yes, somehow its flares seem a lot bigger...

TLegate

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2014, 14:06:57 »
I think you purchased yours at the right time Sir Ned. It will take close to £600,000 to get your Armani-clad rear-end into that driving seat. Slightly up on the £4000 it cost circa 1970...

I think the term "comprehensive restoration" is a bit of an understatement as a lot of the detail work got lost in translation - 427 arches and ally footboxes anyone? - as the only surviving parts on show are the gear lever and steering wheel, just to add a touch of strange patina. But it's a genuine AC289 with the right paperwork and history, even appeared in an advert for Castrol GTX back in the day. I feel I should own it if only to sort those wheelarches

nikbj68

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2014, 18:03:36 »
quote:
Originally posted by TLegate...But it's a genuine AC289 with the right paperwork and history, even appeared in an advert for Castrol GTX back in the day...

Certainly looks a bit different,
   Tadaah:

This copy yours for only £9.72, plus £11 postage?!?!?!

ACOCArch

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2014, 01:56:13 »
quote:
Originally posted by Cobra Ned

http://www.hexagonclassics.com/car_sales/AC-Cobra-289-MKIII/10078.htm

(i) COB 6120 is recorded in the AC Cars Ltd Factory Production Ledger as an AC 289 Sports.

(ii) When leaving the factory the car would have had an AC badge on the front. In 1967, AC Cars Ltd were either not licenced to use the Cobra name and badge, or chose not to.

(iii) There is no known evidence of any model called the AC Cobra 289 MkIII being produced in period by AC Cars Ltd at Thames Ditton.

Cobra Ned

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2014, 04:29:01 »
You will note that it's Hexagon who labeled the car an "AC Cobra 289 MKIII." I know them simply as the "AC 289 Sports," which is how AC promoted it.

TLegate

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2014, 11:46:57 »
As all decent god-fearin' folk know, tis indeed the AC289 Sports. Methinks a Hexagon person got a bit over-excited, or in political terms, they 'mis-spoke'. (I went to see the car in the company of a fine, up-standing gentleman AC289 Sports owner and the salesman admitted he had little knowledge of the tyres we were kicking...)

Although not offically admitted, but having interviewed Derek Hurlock, he confessed the 'Sports' was a stop-gap while they sorted the AC428, which was far more to his personal taste. They got a handful of cars out the door at over two grand a pop which helped use up the left-over parts from the Cobra days, including a few 'interesting' V8s that were sitting around  cluttering up the place. There was never any chance of using the Cobra name as Shelby & Ford had a tight grip on that. No serious effort was made to promote the AC289. I always had the impression that the AC people didn't care too much for the Cobra but were hardly going to bite the hand that fed them!! I always had the impression that Mr. Hurlock was secretly relieved to see the back of both Ford and Shelby....! Less income = less hassle.