Author Topic: AC badge  (Read 20331 times)

cliffordl

• View Profile
AC badge
« on: November 17, 2014, 10:52:07 »
My engine and gear box are still away for rebuild so I took the opportunity to fit new grilles (as available from the Club or Rimmer Bros - as they are the same as the Triumph Herald). What a pain! To get to the grilles the radiator has to come out and the bumpers come off (therefore including inner arches to the front wings and the bumper bars themselves. Wierdly you place the grille before the bumper bar mounts then you have to tighten the bumper mounts from the inside with the grilles right in the way - it's fiddly and I found that two nuts (one out of the three on each side) had been left off due to the inaccessibility.
   This poking around lead me on to the front badge. I've always worried that it was slightly loose so decided to investigate. The badge is held in place with the usual AC tiny nuts and little tabs of metal. Once off it's clear that the badge is made up from three parts - the AC symbol, the red painted backing plaque (with a small soldered-on pin to the base) and the chromed surround.
   I have noted several cars to be lacking this badge with the aperture sealed up. My question is this:
   Would anyone be interested in replacement badges?
   Whilst it's off the car I'm happy to use it as the model from which copies can be made. I've made some enquiries of local foundries etc and await their reply. Obviously cost will be an issue - I did consider 3D printing but suspect that it will not work for the surround.
   C.

siegfried

• View Profile
AC badge
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2014, 14:03:54 »
Hi Cliffordl ,
   Good news , I was looking to find someway to make new grilles.
   Do the have that at the club?
   I want to bay a replacement badge If you consider to let  fabricate  a 3d Copy .
   Gr Siegfried

Classicus

• View Profile
AC badge
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2014, 14:30:02 »
Plus some sort of locking mechanism in case of badge thieves....?

cliffordl

• View Profile
AC badge
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2014, 12:08:49 »
Siegfried - yes the club have the grilles in stock (I know for sure as they formed part of the haul from the old Frua factory that I brought back from Germany).

I have two local firms interested. Will reply with confirmed costings but based on photos it looks like around £150 or so per set including the surround.

siegfried

• View Profile
AC badge
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2014, 18:46:46 »
Hi cliffordl?
   I am more than interested to by the grilles .
   You can send a set ?
   Gr Siegfried

shep

• View Profile
AC badge
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2014, 14:26:15 »
Hi Siegfried, yes I have a box of grilles in my workshop which are owned by the Club. They sell for 30 pounds for a pair, (plus 6 pounds carriage). The Club can take a sterling bank transfer, or process payment via Paypal. If you can tell me which you prefer, we can send a set to you. You can send me a private message if that helps. Best regards, Andy.

siegfried

• View Profile
AC badge
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2015, 19:05:08 »
Hi Clifford,

I want to bay a (original )replacement front badge If you consider  fabricate a 3d Copy .
   Gr Siegfried

cliffordl

• View Profile
AC badge
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2015, 10:56:31 »
Seigfried, The badge is with the tool shop. I should have a prototype to check by the end of this month and then will place an order based on requests and whatever the club wants.

J Jones

• View Profile
AC badge
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2015, 17:07:35 »
quote:
Originally posted by shep

Hi Clifford, That is a great idea. I asked Clive Bowyer to have some produced, and he ended up making 3 pre-ordered sets by hand. Even at the price we charged which I think was about £150 each, poor Clive made a loss, and spent hours of soldering and fettling. If you could come up with an economic price and sensible delivery I would guess there is a market for 10+ sets. See what you can find out! Thanks, Andy.

Knock me down for a new front badge if this comes to pass. Just for insurance, in case the need arises.
   Jeff

cliffordl

• View Profile
AC badge
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2015, 12:52:26 »

New badge made to a very high standard - outer ring is now solid. Inner backing will be enamelled red (but could be done bespoke to match a cars' bodywork).

Classicus

• View Profile
AC badge
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2015, 13:07:14 »
Excellent craftmanship and detail well done Cliff ! [8D] Thinking of badge thieves and ease of removal generally how would they be mounted....?

siegfried

• View Profile
AC badge
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2015, 19:29:12 »
Excellent result cliff, wen do i get one?
   regards,
   Siegfried

cliffordl

• View Profile
AC badge
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2015, 10:30:25 »

Here's the back - new and old. The two outer threads connect to a thin metal bar that bolts down to hold it in place against the inner bodywork (as mentioned earlier tricky to get to but should be possible with the radiator removed).

Is the inner badge the same as the Mk4 boot badge? This is available seperately.

I paid approx. £200 for the modelling and £170 for the finished badge.
   Assuming that we bulk order - Pricing as follows;
   10 complete badges at £170 each
   10 AC badges at £65 each.
   All plus VAT.

I'll need to hear from Andy whether the Club will get involved as I assume that individual orders will be more expensive.

cliffordl

• View Profile
AC badge
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2015, 10:33:11 »
Let's try again

great dane

• View Profile
AC badge
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2015, 16:54:26 »
Looks great! I would like to order one complete badge set. Please let me know how to procede.

Thanks,