Author Topic: AC 16-90 Roadster Wiring Diagram  (Read 3215 times)

• View Profile
AC 16-90 Roadster Wiring Diagram
« on: October 14, 2014, 13:44:30 »
Dear Members,

I am slowly progressing with my late father's restoration project and would appreciate some help and advice from the AC Owner Club Membership. The AC 16-90 I am restoring was stripped down over ten years ago and as you would imagine information has gone missing.
   The manual I have for the car has a wiring diagram for a 16-60 to 16-80 and doesn’t cover the 16-90. I have used this diagram as a starting point and drawn my own version of a wiring diagram base on the dashboard layout, fuse box, cut-out unit CJR3 and the steering column control switch. I am unsure of the exact wiring of the cut-out unit, dynamo and steering column control switch so if any members with superior knowledge to me could review the attached diagram and give me some pointers it would be appreciated. The colour coding has been taken from the attached 16-60 diagram. Any information regarding the internal configuration of the cut-out unit CJR3 would also be helpful as I would like to add this detail to the diagram.

The removed cable from the car is all plastic coated, however I don’t believe this would have been the correct type of cable for a car of this age, and can only presume the wiring has been replaced at some point in the past. I am proposing to replace the wiring with braided cable supply via Autosparks. http://www.autosparks.co.uk/index.php?cPath=86_774.   Please could the membership provide some advice regarding braided cable? Also the fuse box is fitted with 25amp fuses which I believe means all the cable has to rated greater than 25amps?

I have added indicators to the wiring diagram and intend to fit double filament bulbs to the front side lights and the rear brake lights.

Any help on the attached wiring diagram and supply of dash board switches and dash board lights would be very much appreciated.

Best regards
   Richard Smith

PS I have been unable to attach the wiring diagrams, please e-mail if you would like to help and I will send a copy!
   Richard.e.smith11@googlemail.com

Robin A Woolmer

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2014, 14:12:17 »
Richard
   Autosparks made me a complete harness for my  1936 16/80 which had the three brush dynamo & indicators incorporated, so basically they would know the wiring detail, this was made with braided cable which is thicker than original used so there is difficulty with bundle thickness particularly at the steering switch area where the cross member is very close. I will be modifying my connections to the switch to use upbraided at the switch & fit a waterproof plug/socket.
   I believe I made a mistake by using the three brush dynamo set up & would prefer the two brush with a proper regulator, some owners do this & have the regulator fitted out of sight still having the original cut out on the fire wall!
   I would get Autosparks to make up the loom for you & save quite a bit of work on the car! By the way there are solid state regulators available which affords better control & more useful AMPs

nikbj68

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2014, 02:02:53 »
quote:
Originally posted by nikbj68

Here is Richard`s 16/90 diagram, but you will have to email him for a pdf version if you want to be able to read it!

And here is Richard with his father, taken seven years ago, the day they started the engine after a full rebuild. The car had not run for over thirty years!

REV

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2014, 00:50:06 »
Richard,

I really hope that you make progress with this.

Very good luck with your project.

I'm doing one that I started with a friend. The enth detail is being put into it in his name. Every time I think of doing less he godes me on!

Your father would be very proud.

:-)