Author Topic: Greyhound  (Read 13864 times)

Ian BB

• View Profile
Greyhound
« on: October 13, 2014, 10:58:37 »
I am looking for a greyhound, I have never owned one but have been looking for some time for one, should anyone hear of one that is for sale or someone considering selling one I would be very grateful if you could let me know.
   Ps I am not a trader I am looking for one for long term love affair!

nikbj68

• View Profile
Greyhound
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2014, 12:18:13 »
Greetings, Ian, welcome to the ACOC forum and hopefully AC ownership in the near future.
   There`s This one in Sussex, or if you have the stomach for it, you could repatriate This one with Ford 2.6 engine, coming up for auction in Texas.
   Both nice looking cars, both with non-standard bumpers too!

You could contact Alistair at The Interesting Car Company, as they have a good track record of selling Greyhounds, and may be able to guide you in your quest.

Where abouts are you based?
   Good luck with your search,
   Regards, Nik.

Ian BB

• View Profile
Greyhound
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2014, 13:01:33 »
Hi Nik,
   Thanks for your reply, I am going to have a look at the one in Sussex this week if the rain stops! Interesting that you should mention the bumper, I have not seen one with this arrangement and am assuming it has been changed at some time from the factory fitted one. It looks nice in the pictures but it is very expensive, I think it was the same one which sold at auction in April for 44K, however, I am keeping an open mind.
   I had not found the one in Texas, I would not know where to start with repatriation and I would want to see the car before buying, however it looks lovely.
   I am in Dorking Surrey
   Regards
   Ian

nikbj68

• View Profile
Greyhound
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2014, 14:29:54 »
There are a couple of chaps on here who could possibly advise on the import, according to the 2009 register, that Greyhound was in Italy, so it`s a real globetrotter!
   There are many variations on the bumper theme, from none at all, through standard to any number of fabrications, I quite like the Aceca-style tubes.
   As you say, the Sussex car is at the top end of the pricerange, but that`s just a startpoint for negotiation, and I would certainly want to get underneath & check chassis/suspension before shaking hands, which could obviously be a tad awkward with the Texas car!

Contact John Goose, the Greyhound registrar, as he will be able to give you much useful information, shame we are so far from you, as I was going to offer to let you come and have a poke around the oily bits....

Ian BB

• View Profile
Greyhound
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2014, 14:38:43 »
Thanks I appreciate your help.
   Where are you?
   Ian

nikbj68

• View Profile
Greyhound
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2014, 15:34:59 »
I`m Anglesey, but the Greyhound is Shropshire.

rsk289

• View Profile
Greyhound
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2014, 00:47:20 »
I have a good mate in the Mustang owners' club who runs a shipping company in Colchester shipping from Apopka, Florida, who regularly ships cars over to the UK.  I'm sure he could help if you end up interested in that one - he is totally reliable.
   Roger

rsk289

• View Profile
Greyhound
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2014, 00:49:46 »
quote:
Originally posted by nikbj68

Greetings, Ian, welcome to the ACOC forum and hopefully AC ownership in the near future.
   There`s This one in Sussex, or if you have the stomach for it, you could repatriate This one with Ford 2.6 engine, coming up for auction in Texas.
   Both nice looking cars, both with non-standard bumpers too!

You could contact Alistair at The Interesting Car Company, as they have a good track record of selling Greyhounds, and may be able to guide you in your quest.

Where abouts are you based?
   Good luck with your search,
   Regards, Nik.

Blimey Nik, that Texan one is midey purdey.  Love the colours.

Ian BB

• View Profile
Greyhound
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2014, 16:58:02 »
Thanks Rodger,
   I think I will give that a miss, I am not brave enough to buy a car without seeing it, although it does look mint!

nikbj68

• View Profile
Greyhound
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2014, 17:14:34 »
I don`t know if they have just added it, or I didn`t notice it before, but the guide price is $115k-$145... that`s £72k-£90k!!! Can`t see it getting near that without the original engine, even though the 'Aquaplane Special' Ford unit should be more powerful than the Bristol would have been!
   Let`s watch with interest...

R Warlop

• View Profile
Greyhound
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2014, 17:15:13 »
Regarding the one that was sold for £44k in April - adding the auction fees brings it to close to £50k - and it didn't have the original Bristol engine - so £59k for the one currently on sale in Sussex seems fair to me - also in comparison to the pristine one in NZ that sold for close to £70k last yr.
   Again, this is all a fraction of what you would need to put down for a VW campervan (with 12 windows!) or one of the ten thousand purple 911T's from the 70's.
   Maybe Texas will come to the rescue and catapult this fine car beyond VW! (one of the great selling points should be the fact that the Greyhound offers enough headroom to keep your cowboy hat on)

Ian BB

• View Profile
Greyhound
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2014, 17:22:23 »
Hi, I completely understand your point of view, however, if the price goes up like say the Aston Martin prices it takes the car out of the reach of ordinary people who want to have a nice classic car to enjoy not as an investment. Like me!!!

nikbj68

• View Profile
Greyhound
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2014, 13:37:58 »
There`s a little more information on the Greyhound at the US GP Auction HERE than on the Motostalgia website, notably that it recently enjoyed an 800-mile tour around Scotland, where many of the auction photos were taken! The guide price I mentioned previously has now reverted to "Inquire for price", so I wonder if it was there in error?

Ian BB

• View Profile
Greyhound
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2014, 18:19:41 »
It's a lovely cat and if it was up for auction here I would be very interested, I am just not brave enough to do it!  however looked at the one in Sussex today, nice car but without matching numbers and sadly very little history, the previous owner was Mr  Parrott so if anyone knows anything about this car I would be very grateful for feed back.

Ian BB

• View Profile
Greyhound
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2014, 18:20:54 »
Cat!! I meant Car!!!