Author Topic: Brake Upgrade  (Read 3669 times)

DGoose

• View Profile
Brake Upgrade
« on: October 03, 2014, 10:52:38 »
Whilst Granada brakes suit the Ace well on the road they are far from adequate on the track, discovered this after a few laps of Goodwood back in August when the front brakes all but disappeared.

The most simple and cost effective solution I could find was an upgrade at the front to 300mm discs (from the 278mm standard) with four pot billet calipers from Hi Spec.
   Rears have been left at standard diameter (273mm) but grooved, they retain standard Granada calipers but I have fitted braided S/S hoses.

Discs, front & rear, have been grooved as this car will be used for occasional track days and hopefully some light competition work. Discs can be left plain to keep a more authentic look if preferred.

[/URL]

The observant amongst you will notice my deliberate mistake of mounting the new calipers upside down, unfortunately I didn't work out my "deliberate" mistake until my 3rd attempt at bleeding the air out of the system !!

300mm front discs will happily sit behind standard 16" rims but below are shown behind 17" lightweight alloys with lower profile tyres.

[/URL]

Have fitted EBC redstuff pads for now and as yet have only covered 40 miles or so but the brakes already feel better than standard, I really need another track day to asses properly[:D]

[/URL]

nikbj68

• View Profile
Brake Upgrade
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2014, 13:19:17 »
Mmm, that wheel/tyre combo really suits the car, I`m not normally a fan of skinny rubber, but given your intended use, I`ll let you off this time.
   Funny how much easier brakes are to bleed when the nipple is at the top, eh? Nice looking install, and handy to have the grooved/flat option. [8D]

David S

• View Profile
Brake Upgrade
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2014, 14:38:53 »
From previous post, I have 2 damaged wheels which are not repairable. So for now I have just placed order with Demon Tweeks for same wheels (different colour) as those pictured on DGoose car above.

The wheels being Team Dynamic Pro Race 1.2

The price looks reasonable compared with OZ, for 17*8 - PCD 5*112 - ET 35, the price is £642.38 rather than a steep £920.02 (list).

Thought I would bring topic up in case anyone else is looking for replacement alloy wheels.