Author Topic: Dash leather  (Read 4008 times)

rsk289

• View Profile
Dash leather
« on: October 04, 2014, 14:11:11 »
I'm planning to glue new leather to my dashboard this weekend, and am looking for tips.  The leather has been skived to thin it, and I have the recommended contact adhesive to fix it with.  But I can't see how to get it around the elbows in the dash panel where the centre section drops down for the clock without getting a crease in it - it doesn't stretch like vinyl!
   Any clever tips?  Do other cars have a crease here?  Does heat help (I doubt it), or wetting the leather?
   All suggestions gratefully received!
   Roger

nikbj68

• View Profile
Dash leather
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2014, 14:36:48 »
Steam. [;)]

rsk289

• View Profile
Dash leather
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2014, 16:36:57 »
Steam before applying glue or after? I mean, do you shape the leather with steam then let it dry before glueing?

nikbj68

• View Profile
Dash leather
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2014, 17:27:57 »
Apply the glue to both dash & leather, lay on and pull tight, then applying steam, smoothing with a cloth pad and pulling at the same time (using several pairs of hands may be easier) until creases are gone.
   Note, I've only seen it done, not done it myself.  Do you have any off cuts you can have a practise with first?

bbrown

• View Profile
Dash leather
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2014, 18:57:07 »
Roger,
   I have installed new leather on a Cobra dashboard and I did not use steam.  I used leather that was fairly thin, but it had not been skived.  My leather was quite supple.  I have seen some skived leather that resembled parchment so I can understand your predicament.  I was able to form it around the edges and the drop center of the dash quite easily with the supple leather.  Since the leather will shrink over time, I did not stretch the leather.  I took some pictures, I will see if I can find them and post them.  I hope this helps.

rsk289

• View Profile
Dash leather
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2014, 11:43:04 »
Thanks for the advice - yes, a photo or two would be much appreciated, thanks!
   Roger

rsk289

• View Profile
Dash leather
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2014, 00:35:02 »
I bit the bullet and did the job today without using steam.  I had kettle and heat gun fired up and ready to go, but in the event they weren't needed.  The leather (new from Martrim in England) is very supple and stretched where needed around the corners to fit nicely and crease-free.  The biggest problem was the wide return in the glove box hole.

bbrown

• View Profile
Dash leather
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2014, 04:18:22 »
Glad you were successful.  I checked my photos and they are not very helpful (nor are they digital).

nikbj68

• View Profile
Dash leather
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2014, 09:08:03 »
Another step closer... can`t wait to see this car completed!

rsk289

• View Profile
Dash leather
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2014, 00:04:27 »
quote:
Originally posted by nikbj68

Another step closer... can`t wait to see this car completed!

YOU can't wait?

How do you think I feel?