Author Topic: Glove box doors  (Read 4531 times)

rsk289

• View Profile
Glove box doors
« on: October 01, 2014, 18:45:38 »
Can anyone help with construction of glove box doors?  Specifically the thickness of plywood used.  I have found an old thread which suggests the ply was of 1/4" thickness, but that seems extremely thin to me and new plywood sold of that thickness is generally already warped.  I'd have thought 1/2" or 3/8", but does anyone know for sure?  I know there is a trim panel fixed on the inside.  Does the hinge screw onto the front face of the door, covered by thin padding and the leather - or should it screw to the edge of the door?
   Any guidance gratefully accepted!

Roger

Klassik Metall

• View Profile
Glove box doors
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2014, 19:49:24 »
Hello Roger,

I've just checked  an original 289 Cobra glove box door and one from an Ace. Both are made from 1/4'' thick  good quality (birch?) 5 ply, this is also rebated 3/32" deep for the lock ring nut.

The hinge is riveted in place with four 1/8'' csk aluminium rivets at 2 1/4'' centres, directly through the  plywood. The hinge is chromed ( although you can't see it when fitted) and is attached to the dash flange with four 4BA round head set screws and nuts.

Regards Luke.

dkp_cobra

• View Profile
Glove box doors
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2014, 20:18:32 »
Roger,

here are two pictures of my Aceca glove box door.

Don't know whether this is orignal. Thickness is 8 mm.

Regards, Peter

rsk289

• View Profile
Glove box doors
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2014, 23:14:27 »
That is fantastically helpful, thanks chaps.  The Aceca door is much more solid-looking than the Ace/Cobra one.
   Luke - Is the hinge rivetted through the front face of the door, hidden by the padding? Are the rivets pop rivets, pulling through the bare plywood, no washers behind?  Simple bit of trimmed hardboard to cover the inside surface?
   And could you tell me the dimensions of the continuous hinge please?  I have found another old Birmingham company who have been making hinges for over a hundred years, they do chrome on brass piano hinges and if I can work out the right size I'm almost prepared to bet there's an original connection, just like the recent wing nut find!
   Really helpful, thanks again.

Roger

Klassik Metall

• View Profile
Glove box doors
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2014, 07:57:22 »
The hinge is riveted  directly through the front face under the padding, solid ali or dural rivets csk head on the padding side. No washers just pin punched flush into the ply.The 3/4'' long 4BA fixing screw for the check strap also goes right through from the front face under the padding with a lock nut under the inner trim panel.

Standard flat continuous hinge chrome on brass, dimensions as follows.

Length 9 3/8''
   Open width 1''
   Joint length 1/2''
   Pin size 5/64'' (2mm)
   Material thickness 20 SWG

This hinge is available from Gold & Wassall Ltd but only in brass or stainless.
   The inner facing panel is made from 1/16'' thick mill board trimmed in rexine.
   Rexine is no longer made and the nearest equivalent are the materials used for book binding.

Pics to follow.

rsk289

• View Profile
Glove box doors
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2014, 16:44:32 »
Thanks Luke, a pic or two would be great.  I'm assuming the screw holes are around 2 1/4" apart, as the rivets.  For a 9 3/8 long hinge, 4 screws would leave 1 5/16" unsupported hinge at each end - correct?
   Still not clear on what holds the rivets in the wood.  Are they hammered over from the reverse side of the lid?
   Rexine is still advertised by Woolies Trim, but probably a facsimile...
   Roger

Klassik Metall

• View Profile
Glove box doors
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2014, 18:37:21 »
Hopefully these photos will answer your questions.
   Sorry if they're a bit large.

Klassik Metall

• View Profile
Glove box doors
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2014, 18:43:01 »
I've just rechecked the dimensions and the rivet/screw centres are exactly 2 5/16''.

The problem with finding a suitable replacement for the rexine is obtaining something thin enough and of equally poor quality as the original!

rsk289

• View Profile
Glove box doors
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2014, 20:08:17 »
Fantastic pictures, Luke, thanks very much indeed!
   Just one question - if the centres for the holes are 2 5/16", I don't think the hinges can be 9 3/8" long as you originally said.  Was this a typo - should it be something like 7 3/8" overall length?  Looking at your photo I'd think overall length looks like 8 1/16" maybe?
   Thanks
   Roger

Klassik Metall

• View Profile
Glove box doors
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2014, 20:46:39 »
The correct overall hinge length is 8''(203mm), sorry about that it was obviously too early to be measuring anything this morning[:I]. All the other measurements are correct though!

Regards Luke.

rsk289

• View Profile
Glove box doors
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2014, 21:09:41 »
Brilliant, thanks.  I really am grateful for all the trouble you've gone to to help with this!

Roger