Author Topic: leaks !  (Read 2661 times)

nick Godridge

• View Profile
leaks !
« on: September 30, 2014, 17:30:00 »
Who can tell me where water lodges behind the dashboard of my MK1V ?

I have of course experienced the cobra wet thigh when driving in rain, BUT I was still getting drips onto my leg from behind the dash, during long corners, in dry conditions, and on 3rd outing after washing the car.

I would like to fix this annoying problem. Has anybody else dealt with it ?  If so I would like to hear from you.

Console dash, by the way.

Rgds
   Nick Godridge

westcott

• View Profile
leaks !
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2014, 22:28:42 »
Common leaks are:

- Arround windscreen posts, some PU adhesive compound like windscreen or body compound glue can be applied by hand and a small simple tool from underside the body. Form a closed thin bed around the post to the aluminum body.

- The top of the driver/co driver side footwell has a rough cutted hole to the outside  of the car to pass the front loom through coming from inside the foot boxes.

There i had a problem with water comming in between the hood and body, collected on top of the footbox and pressed to the rear and outside by the airpressure while driving or just after washing the car or have the car sitting outside in heavy rain.

This could be the root cause for your problem as well. The water sits on top of the footbox and enters the hole caused by gravity during/after long left turns.
   I closed that hole by a rubber element cut to fit and glued to the hole from inside of the foot box by PU compound.

Then i sealed the loom to the hole in the rubber by elastic body sealing compount.

- Also every drilled hole on top of the footboxes, for example the ones used  to mount the external regulator or the chassis plates to the footbox , should be sealed from inside/underside of the footboxes.

Other possible leaks are the misaligned or rotten rubber seals between body and wiper gearboxes.

After disassembly of my car i saw that the top of the square windscreen crossmember behind the dash was dirty and showed some water marks but thought this was not important.
   Later i found out that some water entered the  inside of the car through the possibilities mentioned above and was sitting on top of the outer ends of the crossmember untill i drove the car arround a curve.
Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler!

nick Godridge

• View Profile
leaks !
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2014, 08:05:42 »
Thx Westcott. Thats what I call an answer.
   Nick G