Author Topic: Cobra Barn Find?  (Read 17398 times)

• View Profile
Cobra Barn Find?
« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2014, 11:29:07 »
Hi
   I was aware of this project .  He told me he wanted to build something, of course, but
   I had nothing  further to do with it.

Graham

nikbj68

• View Profile
Cobra Barn Find?
« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2014, 11:58:56 »
quote:
Originally posted by SJ351It is nicely patinated. And an antidote for all the perfect cars out there.
   You could use it daily and park it at Sainsburys.
   Very liberating.

You, Sir, are the Master of understatement! [;)] I too have a leaning towards the 'used'n'abused' look,(thinking Richard  Wright`s "Scruffbag"... love that Cobra[:X]) but I`m still hoping it has an AC chassis underneath!
   Graham, welcome to the forum... can you shed any more light for us?

SunDude

• View Profile
Cobra Barn Find?
« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2014, 00:47:49 »
FYI ~ There's been some "action" on the Barn Finds website, stemming in part from the discussion here.  IMO, these new "clarifications" do little to "clarify" anything, but I've copied them here for your convenience.

Update 9/8/14 – Many of you thought this was a fake, but the supposed owner just commented and apparently our little discussion got him motivated enough to pull it out and get it running again! He also claims that it does in fact have a CSX COX number…

...and...

me
   September 6, 2014 at 1:33 pm
   Hi you wanted some follow up. its my car.
   it was built as I understand for racing by richard frost a well known race car builder of Black heath. He built a number of formula 2 cars and indianapolis cars, one of which I believe came 2nd one year.
   As i understand it was last used about 30 years ago .
   the shed it was left in collapsed on top of it but did not damage it.
   It was however damaged when an industrial fan that was hanging in the roof of the new shed fell on it breaking the screen, wind wing a couple of instruments and the body and door on the drivers side.
   It has a 1964 390 gt with a strengthened block, that the number matches the vin plate T10 gearbox I believe it original had an HEH toploader but no idea why it was changed.
   there is a race scrutineer ticket that was under the carpet from lyden hill 1974.
   There was some pictures of it racing at north weald but I think they got thrown
   It has coil spring suspension inboard discs .
   Following the interest I dug it out, rebuilt the brakes with original new parts
   got it running (the engine was full of water as the shed leaked in to it) it hasn’t moved yet under it own power but did move accidently and the nose has now got extra shape.
   I am also now in the process of putting it back to its original white.
   I have had a good laugh at what people have seen that is not there, but thanks to all as it gave me inspiration.
   If all goes well it will be at the southend on sea classic breakfast in October.
   yes it does have a CSX number

See original thread here: http://barnfinds.com/cobras-in-barns-yep-they-are-still-out-there/#more-23601

Cobra Ned

• View Profile
Cobra Barn Find?
« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2014, 03:02:31 »
This just gets more amusing. He says it is a coil-spring car, and its 390GT engine matches the data plate. Right. I can't wait for additional details.

TLegate

• View Profile
Cobra Barn Find?
« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2014, 10:16:57 »
And it has inboard brakes!! Who knew? There was me thinking Carroll Shelby owned the only one. Time to revise all the books :)

Methinks a trip to Southend in October might be in order, just to see this one-off special that AC build in its Thames Ditton skunkworks. Or not.