Author Topic: Cobra Barn Find?  (Read 17409 times)

Cobra Ned

• View Profile
Cobra Barn Find?
« on: August 12, 2014, 15:35:21 »
An interesting Cobra-like vehicle has been posted to the website Barnfinds.com. It can be seen at: http://barnfinds.com/cobras-in-barns-yep-they-are-still-out-there/

The owner says the car is not for sale, but maintains it is a genuine Cobra because it supposedly has a CSX VIN. Yet it is RHD and has an FE (big-block) engine in it. I wonder how many RHD AC Cobras were given a CSX VIN and an FE motor?

nikbj68

• View Profile
Cobra Barn Find?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2014, 17:42:53 »
There is just something about this car, despite all the things that appear 'wrong', that seems right.
   Converting to RHD, shoehorning an FE in, buggering about with bits of damaged bodywork & lights could all have occured in the 70`s, (even the inboard rear brakes, although that would be a job and a half), but those sidepipes would surely strangle a big block?!

There`s not really enough to make a call one way or the other from these photos, but I`d really like to know more!

Cobra Ned

• View Profile
Cobra Barn Find?
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2014, 18:13:26 »
Yes, but look closely at the dimensions of the body work as well as the exposed trunk hinges. Does anything there say AC to you? It didn't to me.

nikbj68

• View Profile
Cobra Barn Find?
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2014, 01:01:12 »
Agreed, Sir Ned, there are a lot of 'not right' things about it, but there are several things that say AC to me; albeit perhaps not Cobra!
   It reminds me very much of the "AceBra" AE1138, compare the photos below:

Some of the comments are strange, like the guy who can see MkIV features that aren`t there, or quote:"This car is a restore project, I know the guy & have pics of the body strapped to the top of his jag when he bought it, and got pulled over by the police for having a dangerous load on top!!!!", but the 2 fuel tanks, requiring external hinges for clearance is plausible.
   So, I suspect that if it did indeed leave Thames Ditton, it did so without a CSX number, and obviously without or for an FE, or a T10 box, or inboard brakes, but it does look unlike a replica, coz no-one would make a replica look like that!

Cobra Ned

• View Profile
Cobra Barn Find?
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2014, 01:55:39 »
I suspect is is bunch of used parts and some alloy body bits cobbled together to create car. I await with interest the supposed CSX chassis number it claims to have.

A-Snake

• View Profile
Cobra Barn Find?
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2014, 05:43:08 »
Look at the orientation and location of the wiper wheel houses. They should each be located inboard of the bonnet latches.

I call this a 'bitsa' =^)

TLegate

• View Profile
Cobra Barn Find?
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2014, 11:56:47 »
Am advised it was an Ace, once upon a time. I'd suggest throwing it off a cliff but I see someone already did....

rstainer

• View Profile
Cobra Barn Find?
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2014, 13:20:47 »
The answer to Ned's original rhetorical question ("how many RHD AC Cobras were given a CSX VIN?) is None.

The Ford design engineer's respect for detail would have 289 Register members in fits.

Could be one for the Ace register, but I doubt it. I can't see a continuous history vehicle being turned into such a mess, not even a Zephyr.

RS

nikbj68

• View Profile
Cobra Barn Find?
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2014, 14:02:11 »
quote:
Originally posted by rstainer...Could be one for the Ace register, but I doubt it. I can't see a continuous history vehicle being turned into such a mess...RS

It may well be a candidate for the Ace register, in the same way that this Ace that is an Aceca belongs on the Aceca register, with possibly similar history gaps, and I would say it`s less of a mess too!:

TLegate

• View Profile
Cobra Barn Find?
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2014, 16:04:09 »
If that blue pile of junk has a genuine (Cobra) chassis number, you can call me Doris.

Interesting degree of toe-out on the rear wheel, unless you actually enjoy driving permanently sideways....unsafe at any speed??

Cobra Ned

• View Profile
Cobra Barn Find?
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2014, 19:51:37 »
Don't hold back, Trevor. Please let us know what you really think.

westcott

• View Profile
Cobra Barn Find?
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2014, 21:41:12 »
:-)  The guy with the "strange comments",  seeing MK IV details which are not there can still see them. :-)

- the creature definitely has a "long nose"

- it shows one big hole each side on the front as used for the telescopic bumpers on MK IVs

- there is a 3rd open hole for wiper mounting outbord the hood handle, the spacing is similar to MK IV arrangement. That hole can be clearly seen in the left side view picture not shown above.

- the bonnet handles don't show a round base, they have the shape of  the oval ones

- the front edge of the welded in scoop is slightly curved towards the front, as on MK IV scoops

- it has no vent holes between radiator nacelle and headlights.

Even if these small details are completely coincidential, they are there.

Don't take this too serious, for me it looks like a assembly of younger body pieces and old mechanical parts mixed together for a cobra lookalike vehicle.

But beware, checking the pics too often can cause eye cancer.

Uwe
Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler!

Mark IV

• View Profile
Cobra Barn Find?
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2014, 22:11:09 »
"Doris Legate"? Is she a looker?

3.5 Pints at the Bar

• View Profile
Cobra Barn Find?
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2014, 22:39:07 »
Those clutch and brake pedals look genuine AC. They also have about 125k miles wear on them. There's a 2 Litre Saloon somewhere with only one pedal!

SB7019

• View Profile
Cobra Barn Find?
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2014, 09:17:16 »
I vote with  Uwe.   The similarities he covers are all heading in that direction.  The shape of the body, particularly the way the haunches are  profiled, looks remarkably like a long nose  MkIV.   The pedals ( bottom hinged) suggest a well used Ace or Aceca, etc. has provided the chassis.  It is of course possible that it is a MkIV body grafted on  to a Cobra chassis?  Shame there are no under bonnet shots that would give clues based on the front suspension ( leaf versus coils) and the diameter of the chassis tubes.   If there are coils and big tubes then it is  possible that the base is an AC 289 or Frau?