Author Topic: FIA 289 Cobra-Homologation #115 Minimum Weight  (Read 6411 times)

rstainer

• View Profile
FIA 289 Cobra-Homologation #115 Minimum Weight
« on: August 03, 2014, 17:45:02 »
As of 3 July, this is 965kg (http://www.fia.com/sport/regulations?f[0]=field_regulation_category%3A69).

To be compliant, some of the more recent interpretations would need to add over 100kg.

RS

aaron

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2014, 22:07:09 »
Two bags of cement in the boot ?

shep

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2014, 15:08:28 »
'Elf 'n safety decrees a bag of cement weighs 25kg, so that's 4 bags in modern parlance! May need a tow bar and trailer (un-braked of course). If the new weight is implemented on existing FTPs, I can see some much improved results for the Old Guard in the future.

nikbj68

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2014, 16:36:27 »
I could be persuaded to eat a not insignificant number of pies, then act as ballast. [:D]
   Robin, I couldn`t follow your link, any chance you could edit it?
   Thanks. Nik.

rstainer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2014, 22:23:02 »
Nik,

Not from where I am. Just go to FIA.com, pull up Appendix K and it's in Appendix VII (of Appendix K),  under 'AC'.

RS

TLegate

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2014, 10:00:17 »
I hate having to pull up an Appendix.....makes me eyes water

nikbj68

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2014, 10:46:29 »
It did mine too, Trevor! [xx(]

Thanks, Robin, and for everyone else, here`s the FiA Appendix K pdf document, you will need to scroll down to page 61(of 85!).

A-Snake

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2014, 15:54:25 »
quote:
Originally posted by nikbj68

It did mine too, Trevor! [xx(]

Thanks, Robin, and for everyone else, here`s the FiA Appendix K pdf document, you will need to scroll down to page 61(of 85!).

The actual page number is 265 [8)]

nikbj68

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2014, 17:57:15 »
quote:
Originally posted by A-SnakeThe actual page number is 265 [8)]

Cheers! See also page 268(64) for regs on the Ford 289 engine, and page 269(65) for Shelby American Cobra suspension note!

aaron

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2014, 23:04:38 »
quote:
Originally posted by TLegate

I hate having to pull up an Appendix.....makes me eyes water

I had mine taken out when I was 15 made my eyes water too !

rstainer

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2015, 13:45:24 »
The MSA informs me that the FIA now intends to reduce the minimum weight for Shelby 289 leaf spring Cobra (CS/CSX cars) to 865kg but maintain the minimum weight of the AC equivalent (COB/COX cars) at 965kg. This intention, in denial all relevant historical records, is irrational: thus the below email.

Subject: MSA FIA 289 Cobra Weight Submission-GOVERNANCE ISSUE

To:       John Symes      (MSA)
   Cc:       Simon Hadfield (FIA)
               Patc Henry      (ACCUS)
               Rod Parkin       (MSA)
               Ned Scudder    (SAAC Cobra Registrar)

John,
   This is an ACOC request that the MSA takes appropriate action in relation to an FIA governance issue that affects Appendix K regulations for Cobras.

In 2013/4 the FIA decided, after careful examination of the attached evidence, to incorporate into Appendix K a 965kg minimum weight for the 289 leaf spring Cobra (Homologation #115), the change coming into effect for 2014.

The FIA now intends to revise this carefully-considered decision because ‘The ACCUS do not see any reason why the homologated weight should change’ [FIA minute]. No other reason is given.

The attached March 2013 evidence was:
   1.   Previously widely published in the US and Europe
   2.   Supported by the ACOC and SAAC, the principal repositories of AC/Shelby historical information
   3.   Approved by fifteen period Cobra racers, ten with period competition history cars
   4.   Not queried by any Cobra, Shelby or historic racing authority.

It is not known why ACCUS now discounts all the evidence given to the FIA (including the actual weight of CSX 2138, the ACCUS homologation car) or why the FIA now intends to revise its previous carefully-considered decision.

The FIA is bound by EU accountability and transparency in decision-making principles of good governance in sport. If the FIA is to proceed with this revision the reasons for the decision, which is counter to its previous decision and all the known evidence, need to be set out so that those who supported the previous decision can now confirm that they were mistaken.

This is a governance issue of great importance to racers of Cobras in original FIA race specification.

Kind regards

Robin Stainer
   ACOC Cobra Registrar
   44-1367 810231

PS: The FIA minute also records that ‘The 965kg weight will be deleted from Shelby Cobra in Appendix VII and added to AC Cobra’. This can only be understood as intending that Shelby 289 leaf spring Cobras have a minimum weight 100kg less than their AC equivalents. This intention, in denial all relevant historical records, is irrational:

• The AC and Shelby 289 leaf spring Cobras are in all material respects identical

•    
  • The FIA version of both types is defined by Recognition #115

•    
  • No authority has ever claimed that there is a material difference between the two types.

•    If correctly understood, the minute indicates that the FIA’s Appendix K position has received insufficient thought.