Author Topic: Annoying suspension noise , again.  (Read 7291 times)

Flyinghorse

• View Profile
Annoying suspension noise , again.
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2014, 21:53:39 »
It wonder if this is really an adjustment point or they just moved there? (On one side mine was able to open up) Was there any thread lock on them when taken apart? Peters in his photo are " centred" as are mine ). Wonder what others have?
   I guess if they are like this both sides they were used for adjustment/was done deliberately. Bit like some weird caster at the rear. Does anyone know ?
   My adjustments at the rear are toe and camber with camber being done using the top screw in single rose,and toe by the  small link rods with flats.

It was Gerry Hawkridge that told me they come in differing sizes and he stocks them. I had unfortunately put mine back together before measuring and did not want to remove to check.
   Graham

westcott

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2014, 23:36:24 »
I had to apply a lot of force using a vice to break the two nuts loose.  So there was no unintended movement, looked like a defined adjustment and with this specific setup we measured the following at the rear:

Camber:
   LH 1°14', RH 0°21', set value 0°30'
   Toe out:
   LH -0°17', RH -0°19', set value -0°15'(total -0°30')

Camber values are out of spec and will be adjusted end of the season.
Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler!

lightblue

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2014, 16:53:48 »
Many years ago I asked the factory how they set up this joint from new and they said 'about in the middle'.  I assume they then used the forward radius rod (in front of the wheel)to set Toe.  There must be a reason for use of this complicated joint and I would be interested to know if anyone does know why.

Incidentally, I know the Handbook specifies Toe Out on the rear but I think the general view is it was  a misprint and should be Toe In (about 2mm) with 0deg.30min. Negative Camber.

John.

3.5 Pints at the Bar

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2014, 22:48:56 »
Maybe this adjustment was for anti-dive/squat? The inclination of the pivot bolts would affect this characteristic, by adjusting the inclination of the lower suspension pivot axis. That would affect anti-dive more than anti-squat, due to brake torque.

westcott

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2014, 22:42:07 »
We added 500 km to the odometer since the repair and the squeek is gone. In the meantime the rod bearings arrived and will be installed after ECM in St.Tropez.
Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler!