Author Topic: CLUTCH ADJUSTMENT ???  (Read 2456 times)

gblue

• View Profile
CLUTCH ADJUSTMENT ???
« on: March 22, 2007, 23:28:51 »
Aloha from Maui....My clutch pedal engages about 6 inches down from the top of the pedal. How do I get it to grab higher up, as I think 3-4 inches is correct...I tried pulling up on the pedal to adjust it like the manual says, but it doesn't work at all......Mahalo.....Gregg

ak1234

• View Profile
CLUTCH ADJUSTMENT ???
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2007, 00:13:00 »
I know the method they describe in the manual .... its the same as on a FORD MUSTANG.... but I think your supposed to be moving .... like I think in my Saleen Mustang I pulled up on the pedal while driving down the road.  But if I;m not mistaken adjusting this pedal in this manner ... makes it catch lower to the floor.  Your asking to un adjust the pedal and make it catch higher???

cobham cobra

• View Profile
CLUTCH ADJUSTMENT ???
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2007, 11:48:51 »
Hi Gregg,
   The method of adjustment you describe is correct, but I also have had problems with the long travel action of the clutch pedal. The solution I used was to cut the clutch pedal, re-position the angle to bring it closer and weld it back together. The pedal is now closer and I no longer have to push it all the way to the floor to get full disengagement. I know it's a bit drastic but it's a lot more comfortable to drive. Another point to keep in mind thinking about clutch action and adjustment, especially on right hand drive MkIV's is to make sure the cable is well lubricated and covered with heat protection / insulation material otherwise the inner cable dries and the cable snaps. This is because on right hand drives the cable is routed under the engine from one side of the engine bay to the other and is exposed to a great deal of heat. I guess left hand drive cars don't have the same potential for failure.
   John.

nikbj68

• View Profile
CLUTCH ADJUSTMENT ???
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2007, 12:31:51 »
quote:
Originally posted by cobham cobra

....on right hand drives the cable is routed under the engine from one side of the engine bay to the other and is exposed to a great deal of heat. ....
   John.

Do the new cables that Gerry Hawkridge makes alleviate this problem, or just mean that a quality replacement is available if/when the unfortunate occurs?

cobham cobra

• View Profile
CLUTCH ADJUSTMENT ???
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2007, 13:38:51 »
I have one of Gerry's new cables and keep it in the car as a spare. It is a much better quality item and should give longer more reliable service, but it will still benefit from lubrication and thermal insulation when fitted. Because the cable runs close to the exhaust manifolds and sump it has the potential to get a lot of heat soak. A few days after returning from the Classic Le Mans last year my cable snapped as I was driving through Parliament Square in Central London. Having to negotiate a five lane road and 7 sets of traffic lights in a high security zone by starting and stopping the engine in gear, using the ignition key was bad enough. But doing so while, what felt like, half of London's police force were watching me made it much worse !  I always carry a spare now - John.

gblue

• View Profile
CLUTCH ADJUSTMENT ???
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2007, 17:03:10 »
is the cable manually adjustable from either end? my car is left hand drive....I'll try it while I'm driving and then take a closer look at any possible manual adjustments on the cable ends themselves........gregg