Author Topic: Speedo removal  (Read 5319 times)

Max Allan

• View Profile
Speedo removal
« on: April 11, 2014, 17:55:24 »
Has anyone had cause to remove their speedo? Looks to me it will require removing steering column and still be a struggle!!![:(]

paho

• View Profile
Speedo removal
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2014, 11:48:36 »
Nice to see you found how the instrument panel is secured (http://www.acownersclub.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3273). I have to replace all the bulbs in the instrument panel in the spring. But before I get the crowbar out which part is held by velcro, the instruments, the instrument binnacle or the whole dashboard?
   /Paho
"Blessed are those that don't ask for they shall not receive"

Max Allan

• View Profile
Speedo removal
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2014, 14:43:21 »
Hi Paho. Having attempted to get at defuncted speedo head by removing steering column I discovered the instrument panel/fascia can be removed simply by lowering steering column to limit of rake adjustment, removing two halves of plastic steering wheel binnacle and easing the panel/fascia out of recess in dash complete with instruments using nothing more sophisticated than fingers (panel/fascia held in situ with strip of Velcro at either end).

All the instruments are clamped to panel/fascia using common practice of brackets and knurled nuts.

I wish I did know how complete dash is held in place! My wish list included fitting 6-speed Tremec I imported from States, but to do so requires removing the dash. Unable to figure out how the dash is fixed, and not wanting to wreck it attempting to get it out, I gave up the project - that and shear enormity  of the task!!! Shame!!

bobbylangley

• View Profile
Speedo removal
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2014, 19:33:04 »
Have you asked Neil Fisher at Redline? He was working at ACs when these were being built.

paho

• View Profile
Speedo removal
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2014, 23:39:28 »
Many thanks for the clarification. My car has gone into hibernation for the winter, I´ll see if I can identify how the dashboard is secured when I remove the instrument panel.
   /Paho

hawk289

• View Profile
Speedo removal
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2014, 14:40:36 »
There are two bolts either end of the dashboard. It is easy, but you will need to be careful. There are a lot of wires behind. I will take a picture of mine, need to remove the heater controls. I'm also restoring another which I plan to document the full rebuild to allow people to see how it is done, it is quite simple in structure. The most complex element is the wiring!

paho

• View Profile
Speedo removal
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2014, 09:56:43 »
I was thinking of using a borescope, so knowing that its fairly easy is really good to know, many thanks!
   /Paho

paho

• View Profile
Re: Speedo removal
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2020, 20:53:07 »
Well I finally managed, after many many attempts, to remove the instrument panel today!

Unfortunately the panel was not secured with velcro, as I had hoped, but with two clamps fitted to the fuel and water temp gauges
respectively at each end of the panel. I used a peice of string placed behind the left hand end of the panel and pulled until the panel came loose!
The clamps are illustrated in the attached photos.

The only way I can think a normal person would succeed to slacken and remove these two clams is to utilise persons under the age of 6 to loosen the knurled nuts.
I have 4 grandchildren that fit the bill to a "T". Unfortunately Swedish advice is for persons over a certain age isolate themselves from contact with other humans, so they
all refuse to come nearer than two meters. On the plus side I was so frustrated with 4 plus weeks in isolation that the panel finally came loose!
The clamps wwill be replaced with velcro!

Keep safe everyone! /Paho