Author Topic: CSX3031 for sale at Legendary Motorcar (Apr 2014)  (Read 5082 times)

SunDude

• View Profile
CSX3031 for sale at Legendary Motorcar (Apr 2014)
« on: April 03, 2014, 18:53:04 »
For your info...

Legendary Motorcar is located in Milton, just west of Toronto, Ontario, Canada.

###

Original 1965 Shelby Cobra 427 Factory S/C
   http://www.legendarymotorcar.com/site2/listing/original-1965-shelby-cobra-427-factory-sc/

CSX3031 was billed to Shelby American on 2/9/65 and was among the very few that was finished to semi-competition (S/C) specifications and was finished in the famous Shelby livery of blue with black interior along with white side pipe exhaust.  The car also came without a fan, tops or side curtains. The car had been originally ordered by Frank P. Thurner and purchased through North West Motors.  He took delivery of CSX3031 at Shelby American partway through 1966 and actually drove it home to Michigan.  After completing the trip Thurner added electric fans as well as a top.  The car was then sold later that year to Gerry Mulnix (MN) with 5000 street miles.  Mulnix was into road racing and owned a Shelby GT350 R-model already, he got the S/C Cobra prepared and ready to race for the upcoming 1967 SCCA races.  The Cobra would go on to be raced successfully in 1967 and 1968 SCCA events.  At the 1967 Southport airport race 3031 was clocked at an average speed of 80mph and in 1968 Mulnix finished 1st in A-production at Donnebrook speedway while also setting a new lap record.  In a very astonishing feat, Mulnix managed to complete both the '67 and '68 seasons unscathed.  Over the next couple of years the car would trade hands a couple of times before ending up in the hands of Bob Ash in Iowa who treated the car to a little restoration work in its original colour combination.  Some time after that the car would trade hands again a couple of times before being acquired by Connie Moore from Oklahoma.  Moore both enjoyed the car and showed it over the next couple years before, as is often the car, CSX3031 was put away in storage.  Many years later he decided it was time for the Cobra to get freshened up, it was restored and repainted.  Shortly after the restoration Moore put the car up for sale and in 1992, Walmart owner and famous car collector Rob Walton would end up being the purchaser.  Walton would enjoy the S/C Cobra on several driving events over the next 9 years including the Copperstate 1000.  In 2003 Mike Drobot (CA) purchased the car from Walton and a few years later the car was given a complete ground up restoration where the engine, mechanicals and suspension were all redone.  Recently 3031 has been restored back to its correct factory livery of blue with black interior and white side pipes, just the way it was picked up at Shelby American almost 50 years ago.  CSX3031 is one of only 29 factory produced 427 S/C Cobra.  With its rich race history and an unharmed life 3031 is surely one of the best S/C cobras in existence today.

SunDude

• View Profile
CSX3031 for sale at Legendary Motorcar (Apr 2014)
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2014, 18:40:41 »
I was in the Toronto area last week on business and found some time to pop in at Legendary Motorcar to check out the six original Cobras in their showroom. Three of them have been there for a while now, but the rest were new to me.

CSX3031 is an original 427 semi-competition roadster, and is in immaculate condition. The car is for sale at an asking price (so I was told) of $2.8 million.

Here are some photos of CSX3031 from my visit, for your viewing pleasure.

###

The two other CSX3000 series Cobras in the LMC showroom include CSX3136...

...and CSX3235.

###

There were also three original leaf-spring Cobras in the LMC showroom.

The red car is CSX2315 which still wears many of its 427-style features, namely the widened front fenders and 4-into-1 side pipes.

The green car is CSX2119. It had been set to cross the block at Bonhams Monterey this past August, but was reportedly sold prior to the event.

The blue 289 with red interior is CSX2570, the New York Auto Show display car. It's been at LMC for some time now.

LMC is also in the midst of restoring the Bob Johnson Cobra. CSX2494, if I'm not mistaken. But I didn't manage to get a shop tour to see it.