Author Topic: Big Year  (Read 4886 times)

hawk289

• View Profile
Big Year
« on: March 31, 2014, 23:33:57 »
So, in July we have a big year for the Ace Brooklands, can you guess? Well it is 20 years since the first production one rolled off the production line. I did not know until now that the Ace and Ace Brooklands shared the same year. Need to have a think about something. Ideas welcome!

The car had a prototype in 1993, but the first in the register for customer was 1994. Interesting, I plan to copy the register for Action.

Nev

• View Profile
Big Year
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2014, 10:28:35 »
Well in that case we should definitely try to get as many together as possible........[:)]

hawk289

• View Profile
Big Year
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2014, 11:28:18 »
The first car was DE1016, on 4-7-1994 that was purchased, there was an early prototype PA017002 in 1993. DX1015 has an early chassis number than DE1016 but this was actually after the DE1016. Interesting that AC carried on the theme of chassis. DE1060 (my old car) was the last. So we missed 1993, but I think 1994 is a good reason. I will chat with the committee.

bnwood

• View Profile
Big Year
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2014, 20:23:30 »
My car is DE 1069.  which makes it the ninth car made after the last one !!!!??
   Good idea a get together, but  Northumberland is a long way north.

hawk289

• View Profile
Big Year
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2014, 23:16:44 »
I have been doing a lot of research on the Ace, what I know. Every car had the "hand of AC" we have no replica cars. So what we have is as follows

DE1016 was the first of the Ace Brooklands and the last one was DE1060, Chassis DE1061, DE1062 and DE1063 got developed and put in "Stock WIP" - You will see I refer this as Mk1 and Mk2, the first 20 cars had some differences, then after this they got into production status.

Now the interesting point DE1061 got taken out of stock and a new front end was developed (square head lamps) and GRP bonnet was given. This is commonly called "South African Car" which is slightly incorrect. Only a limited amount of work was done out of the UK. So actually I have all classified as Mk3 cars. So DE1069 is actually an Ac Ace Brooklands, but it will be a late Mk.3

Now if we move on, we have DE11* which are chassis / body obtained by a number of people. Again all AC parts and all AC laid chassis. I can confirm all this, before John Owen passed away I had information. So technically I do not have formal AC register, but I do have information. (lets call them continuation cars)

The last set of cars are 4 Aceca Brooklands, very easy 1 prototype (actually an extended DE10 chassis), 2 AC built cars (steve gray has one, I have the other) and 1 Ac Chassis, Body, etc. again I have the complete car and all parts. John provided a letter confirming the last one from the register.

I have been piecing together all the information. So every Ace Brooklands / Aceca Brooklands is original car from Ac factory, but some have been put together outside the factory.

bnwood

• View Profile
Big Year
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2014, 21:24:00 »
Thank you for that information.
   I have an anomaly to put to the forum.
   When driving steadily, cruising, the temp gauge stays at approx 90 c. When using the right pedal and using the gears the temp climbs up to 110 c.. It has never boiled or lost any coolant. Could this be a sensitive sender unit or sensitive gauge?  Once we are back cruising again the temp comes back to 90 c. Jaguar, when moving up from 4.2 litre to their V12 5.3, fitted an air scoop below the grill to increase the air flow to the radiator. The Brooklands AC has a similar small grill for the size of engine.

hawk289

• View Profile
Big Year
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2014, 06:22:35 »
Sounds like normal Ford V8 challenge, keep it cool. The Temp sensor on a 302 is at the front, so should not be sensor. If you car has oil cooler, making this a target for good air flow is important. On my Ac Aceca Brooklands I plan to have air ducts to the cooler so it will always be given the best chance to cool. On my Ace Brooklands I plan soon to get more air flow. If it does not loose any water, then is OK.

David S

• View Profile
Big Year
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2015, 15:32:15 »
So last year was 20 years of the Brooklands Ace, now 21 years are we going to have a small gathering to celebrate?