Author Topic: Oil capacities  (Read 2388 times)

Exowner

• View Profile
Oil capacities
« on: March 16, 2014, 10:08:05 »
Having ascertained what types of oil to use, it was time to put them in their respective places
   First up, the diff. we all know that the h/book is wrong when it says 3.12 litres. I measured what came out and it was 1.55 litres and that's exactly how much went in. No problems there, so on to the gearbox.
   This was, according to my h/book, meant to hold 4.54 litres which to my mind seemed to be about twice the amount that I had ever put in a box of any type including pre-selector boxes. It had 2.15 litres in it ,and I wish I had checked with a bit of bent wire before draining it to see how far below the filler/level plug the level actually was. I didn't and it was my undoing! I had already opened an access hole in the transmission tunnel to align with the F/L plug (I can't believe this was not something that was done during manufacture. They did it for the diff!?)next, I found a snug fitting piece of tube to go on the end of my little funnel, bunged it in the hole a put 4 litres in. The mystery is that 4 litres went in with no trouble at all, no waiting for it to drain down the funnel, it just ran straight into the box as you would expect it to if it held almost exactly an imp.gallon, however, when I removed the funnel & tube 1.5ltres of expensive ATF pissed into my inspection pit!!! So the handbook is wrong again. I took the figure of 4.54liters as gospel as I had no reason to doubt it, unlike the diff where I had been advised by several people that the figure in the h/book was wrong. I jacked the car up to silly angles just in case there was some sort of weir that needed overcoming (as in some live-axle cars), but no, 2.6 litres was all I could get in. I make that 57% of what the book says.
   Next the engine. Apart from struggling to remove the oil filter all went well. when I added what remained in the filter to what came out of the two sump plugs it totalled 3.65 litres (the dipstick had shown that it was about 2/3 full). It took 4.5 litres to bring the level up to the top of the 'full' mark on the dipstick.
   So there we are, all lubricant now changed and some lessons learned.
   I wonder if anyone out there has had similar experiences??
   cheers Glenn

jbottini

• View Profile
Oil capacities
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2014, 12:06:04 »
Similar, you can check diffand trans  with little finger if it is sensitive enough, you should fell fluid just below fill hole. Motor dipsticks have been known to br incorrect lengths....check engine Mfg./ pan supplier and oil cooler rad( if fitted) and determine correct fill  level in litres. Put that amount in , start engine, shut down for  couple minutes to allow bleed down, put dipstick in ,pull out and scribe a full make and consider a permanent marker on it as well.

Mark IV

• View Profile
Oil capacities
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2014, 23:45:09 »
quote:
Originally posted by jbottini

Similar, you can check diffand trans  with little finger if it is sensitive enough, you should fell fluid just below fill hole. Motor dipsticks have been known to br incorrect lengths....check engine Mfg./ pan supplier and oil cooler rad( if fitted) and determine correct fill  level in litres. Put that amount in , start engine, shut down for  couple minutes to allow bleed down, put dipstick in ,pull out and scribe a full make and consider a permanent marker on it as well.

t.............
   A file mark across the correct level is good thing to quote Martha Stewart....